New Peach tree pruning

Arlington, TX

I bought a Peach tree last week and I know I need to prune it per various videos I have watched. There is a bend halfway up the main stem, should I just cut it right there below the bend? Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by shelliemarie_c Thumbnail by shelliemarie_c
Castro Valley, CA

Oh yes, JasmineMack, a friend who lives a few hours from here tells me Joe's Tree and Bush Trimming is the best. I hope you like them.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm no expert but have several peach trees. Five I think. I would not prune it at that small size unless branches crossed. I prune mine so that they are no taller than a few steps up a ladder and to prevent heavy leaf growth crowding the interiors. As long as the branches and their foliage are not restricting air circulation or crossing other branches they are left on.

Peaches are very forgiving. I've had trees fall on mine and trucks shear half a tree. They recover and fill out quickly. Some people prune to limit fruit set and grow larger fruit. I'm okay with smaller fruit as long as the flavor is there. I think the only other fruit trees easier to grow are figs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.