Vigorous growing vines

Dublin, OH

I have two vines that we were told were hardy arctic kiwis. We bought one male and one female. They were planted over 10 years ago and we've never seen a single flower. I assume we were sold inaccurate plants, but can't get an ID on what we DO have. They are very vigorous growers, and if they will not produce fruit, then I will take them out because they are very heavy vines and take over. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have posted twice on the ID thread with no response at all. These pictures were taken last summer, one of each vine. Thank you!

Thumbnail by lrozlog Thumbnail by lrozlog
(Zone 7a)

These definitely look and sound like hardy kiwi to me! Your leaves are a bit more elongated than the female variety I have ('Anna'), but I think my male may have more similar leaves. Mine started producing fruit after 5 years. Could you have possibly ended up with two plants of the same gender? It could possibly come down to nutrients in the soil, but I honestly find mine to be very low maintenance. Mine are in a sunny spot in sandy soil on a slope.

I actually have a post up right now asking for opinions on if I should remove mine. They are extremely vigorous and heavy as you mentioned! I can't keep up with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.