Starting from seed

Montgomery Center, VT(Zone 3b)

Ok guys I am new here and not sure if this will work as I try to link you to an article from National Gardening on seed starting:

http://www.garden.org/articles/scripts/articles.taf?id=23&kwd=starting%20from%20seed&Articlesstart=1

Happy Gardening,
Jerry Gryniewicz

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Jerry is that you?? Nice to meet you. What a great article. And that's quite a set-up you have going. After reading it I'm almost thinking of buying those capiliary mats... Watering is my biggest problem.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well Well Well, a new member and a quite experienced one at that!!!! Welcome to DG Jerry!!!!!! You are going to love it here!!!!
Sure is alot of great info on your link!!!!!!! I will get back to it when I get the little guys to bed!!!!!!!
sue

Poppysue, hello to you too! Ok I am not a poet and will keep my day job. But you must admit it was creative. The capiliary mats help with the watering. Last year I had 62 flats of 24 plants and I would have never been able to kept up with the watering without the mats and their water reservoirs.

Ruby 42 from New Jersey, yes there is a lot of information on my site. Thank you for taking care of the little guys first. That is one more reason why I will love it here, a good parent. I continue to thank you all for such a warm welcome. Jerry Gryniewicz

Mason, MI

Wow!
'Nice article, Jerry! :-)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I use capiliary matting too. It works great. My matting fits over a shelf made from those plastic light grates that fit over the flourscent ceiling lights. I hold the grate off the floor of the water reservoir with short pieces of PVC pipe. Can save a lot of time and you know you aren't over watering.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

so nice to have you here Jerry, and I know we'll really appreciate your experience. Would be very curious to know what the lights do to your electric bill. I'm seriously considering putting in about 6 more lights, but would hate to do it and then not be able to afford it. Just how many lights do you have? (I did read the article, just don't have a memory that can recall that long:)

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

Welcome Jerry! That is exactly how I got started...after work for enjoyment! You'll love it here and will learn a lot.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

welcome Jerry and this place is habit forming Tig i run 12 four ft.lights and don't belive it runs over 10 a month but we are on R.E.A.and our rates are low it may not be that much we never turned off the lights in the house and when I put the stands in I started turning off our lights and saw no change they use less than 1 100watt bulb

tiG, I don't know how much per month it cost as we pay an average cost that is the same each month. Also, I do not always have all my grow lights on at the same time except the last 4 weeks before hardening off time.

I have a total of twenty-four grow lights with four light tubes per fixture. Sixteen are four foot long and eight are two foot long. I only use full spectrum light tubes. I have heard from other gardeners that this is not necessary. They say one cool and one hot florecent works as well. I have never tried this nor do I plan to.

During the grow season I run my lights for 16 hours. If I had to guess, I would say it might cost $40 per month when all lights are being used at the same time.

Oh, my 4 foot bulbs are 40W each and 20W each for the 2 foot ones.

I hope I have been of help. Hey Dave sounds like you have a nice set up. I will have to add more pictures of my grow light room on my web site. Here is the one page I have:
http://geocities.com/jerrygryniewicz73/growlightroom.html

The fixtures I use are from a Canadaian company called Floralight. The quality is top of the line and am very happy with the fixture's performance.

Ok got to go getting late.
Again thank you,
Jerry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.