ADD YOUR USERNAME TO SAVE YOUR JOURNAL

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Problem that appears when I click on Download
Your Journal.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I get site can't be reached.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Any help out there? Need advice please as to how to down load my journal. Thanks

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from IBtyen :
Journal data is now available for download. Please click on "my info" at the top and you'll see a "download journal" link in your profile.

The data will be removed from the site March 1, 2021 so don't delay!

One week has now elapsed of the four weeks you allocated for the download of journals, and it is still not possible to access the files. Can you at least post an acknowledgement that you are working to resolve the matter, in the absence of a solution to whatever issues you are having?

A revised timescale for the availability of the journals, and the date at which you will remove the data, would also be appreciated.

los angeles, CA

Sorry for the troubles with the journal downloads. I'm investigating.

los angeles, CA

For those having problems downloading. Right click the journal link and use "save as" or "save file/link as" (wording will vary depending on browser type)

It will be a compressed zip folder.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Quote from IBtyen :
For those having problems downloading. Right click the journal link and use "save as" or "save file/link as" (wording will vary depending on browser type)

The problem is there is no file. It says "This site can’t be reached"

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Quote from IBtyen :

I just tried as you suggested but it saves nothing because nothing is there.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Not working. I get to save as and then when I click on “save link as”
says
bbrookrd_journal.zip
Failed - Server problem

Please advise.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone successfully downloaded their journal? Panic setting it!

Quote from IBtyen :

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio'

Do you not think that we might already have tried that?

As mentioned elsewhere, the compressed zip file contains zero bytes. So - technically - I can download the file, but as it contains nothing you are wasting my time.
This matter has now been going on since September 2020 (announcement that you were about to remove our journals) or November 2020 (you deign to attempt to let us have our journals in a usable format). It smacks of prevarication or even an attempt to 'run the clock down'.
I've looked back at the depth of feeling about the way you have acted in the "Journals Will Be Going Away Soon!" thread: you are doing nothing to enhance your website's reputation for customer care.
Can you please try to make some meaningful progress. And as you didn't reply to one of my requests, I assume the deadline for removing the journals is now March 11 (and counting).

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from IBtyen :

Nope, not working, getting the same message as everyone else is, following your instructions, "Server Error" even hit resume in my downloads, looks like there is nothing there to download.

los angeles, CA

Tech team is working on it. I did a few test downloads and can confirm it's just a 0 byte file.

Updates coming

los angeles, CA

The issue has been fixed on our staging site and will be pushed out to the live site soon. I'll confirm once it's ready.

los angeles, CA

OK! The fix has been made. Please try to download your journal. You should now be able to left-click it and be prompted for a download. It\'s recommended to be on a desktop computer to download the file.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Anyone successful? I will try in the morning when I can think clearly. Hopeful.

Quote from IBtyen :
OK! The fix has been made. Please try to download your journal. You should now be able to left-click it and be prompted for a download. It\'s recommended to be on a desktop computer to download the file.

It did download all my written information, to a zip file on my desktop PC. No photos, shows a block, but when I try to open the photo, get no file found.

So, looks like only written information can be downloaded, not the photos, is this correct, or is there a way to see the photos?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Without Photos this is unforgivable if it can't be fixed. My heart has sunk.

los angeles, CA

The photos are all still there. Can you try opening it in a browser such as chrome? Your journal is very large. Allow for the file to fully load in the browser and click on any of the entries.. The photos are there.

Quote from bbrookrd :

Quote from IBtyen :
The photos are all still there. Can you try opening it in a browser such as chrome? Your journal is very large. Allow for the file to fully load in the browser and click on any of the entries.. The photos are there.

Quote from bbrookrd :

Ok, I had to get help from my husband, I had not unzipped the file, once I unzipped it and hit 'Extract file' all of the photos and written information downloaded to my PC. Thank you it is all there. Mine is very large and it took no more than maybe ten minutes to download.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2021 12:15 PM

This message was edited Feb 18, 2021 8:55 PM

Quote from bbrookrd :

See my message regarding the photos. I had only opened the zip file, I hadn't extracted the information to my PC, once I did the photos were there. I can't enlarge them, but on my PC they're large enough for me to see. There is the inception date of entry but the follow up comments don't have dates, but they do match the photo order. It's not perfect like it was on the website, but doable. Just make sure you unzip the file and then extract the information to your PC.

Quote from IBtyen :

I've downloaded and unzipped my journal, and spent some time going through it.

The photos are lined up across the first column of the journal, which works if you only have up to half a dozen photos in any one entry. I have many more in some entries, which makes that part of the journal unwieldy to the point of being unmanageable. But given that it has taken so long to get this far, I now hold out little hope of being offered anything different.

However, on one point regarding the photos I need some advice.

The journal displays the thumbnail version of the photos (each about 3Kb in size), but I can see no simple way of accessing the full-sized version of the photos - which are each around 100kb in size (in my journal, at least). Your team obviously went to a lot of trouble to organise the photos in numerous sub-folders by date: how do we take advantage of all the work they did?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

So encouraged, but as I am in Vt where my service can be spotty at my Vt house, therefore, I will download it on Tuesday when I am back at my year round home on Nantucket. I have chrome and a son who is more computer literate than me to help. I will miss my Dave’s Garden Journal. It has been indispensable.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

The photos come up separate from the names. Sense I have so many and many are seedlings it will be impossible to correctly ID so many photos without names. So sad you won't be offering this feature anymore. It set you apart from other gardening sources online. It was a valuable feature to the site.

Norfolk, VA

I need my journal files please. Im done by November and dont' pop back in until the start of next season. My journal is critical tool for sucess.

los angeles, CA

I'm very sorry but we won't be able to provide your journal data. We posted an alert on the site for many months asking folks to add their username to the list.

Quote from thinkinonit :
I need my journal files please. Im done by November and dont' pop back in until the start of next season. My journal is critical tool for sucess.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I haven't been on this site since November like thinkinonit. I need my journals! Indeed, the main reason I have maintained my membership here for the past 5 years at least is because I needed those photos and that data and couldn't figure out a way to copy them down off of the site. I never saw this notification, and I think you should have taken further steps to notify us by dmail/email that something as serious as the removal of our journals was going to happen. You have no trouble sending me a dmail/email once a year to tell me my membership needs to be renewed.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would recommend that you create your own site, for free, that all of us can join for free and demand better service than you seem to think that others should provide you for free.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
I would recommend that you create your own site, for free, that all of us can join for free and demand better service than you seem to think that others should provide you for free.

But I am not a free member of this site. I pay a membership fee each and every year! I have never before had a site that I am a paid member of simply remove my most important content without sending me a personal email giving me the opportunity to download it before it's gone. It's beyond ridiculous that we should even have to have a discussion about something like this.

Hi ginnylynn:

My posting was NOT a reply to your posting (from a paid subscriber). Rather, it was a retort to someone who was spamming Dave's Garden in multiple places - I think their handle was Dragonslayer or some such - who has since had all their posts removed.

With the removal of their inconsiderate post, none of the following posts now make any sense, and worse - they cause reactions like yours.

I hope you can work out access to your journal information, especially since you paid for the privilege of using this site for storing it.

My apologies; the username (now removed) was DragonflyFarms.

Here is another thread - with the violator's post removed - that now makes you wonder what was going on.

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1487704/

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Hi ginnylynn:

My posting was NOT a reply to your posting (from a paid subscriber). Rather, it was a retort to someone who was spamming Dave's Garden in multiple places - I think their handle was Dragonslayer or some such - who has since had all their posts removed.

With the removal of their inconsiderate post, none of the following posts now make any sense, and worse - they cause reactions like yours.

I hope you can work out access to your journal information, especially since you paid for the privilege of using this site for storing it.

Thank you for your kind clarification ViburnumValley. I too apologize for jumping to conclusions re: your earlier post.

I'm not quite sure how to get a response from the admins on this problem, especially when looking at the response from IBtyen to thinkinonit.

Unfortunately, the backup I had those photos on crashed and burned and I have no way to get them back other than off of this site. Some of them are photos of 2 of my cats when they were very young - one of whom has passed away and the other is about to. I'm just heartsick.

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Just to be clear, I have nothing to do with the Journals.
All I do here is correct errors, add data and answer questions that are in
my realm.
I didn't use the Journals and I see why everyone is upset.
I have my own plant journals on my PC.
I have all my plant based data and images backed up on an external Hard Drive.
Also on an internal Hard Drive on another PC.
I know everyone can't do this, but external Hard Drives are very cheap now and easy to use. All you do is plug them in USB.
Almost all DVD roms now are rewritable. You can back up on them. (I have too many images to back up on DVD, but many can)
I am so sorry so many lost this data and wish I could help, but I'm pretty sure the data is gone.
Sorry again,
Sandy

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Thank you Sandy. It's nice to know that someone appreciates what we've lost.
I'm a retired IT professional, and I never thought I would find myself in this position either. I had everything on the laptop it was originally loaded to, and backed up to an external drive for good measure. Unfortunately both failed in the same week. It happens. I didn't worry about it because I thought I could come back in here and get everything back again. I never dreamed it would be blown away without first receiving an email warning me that it was about to happen. Oh well. On the bright side, at least I can stop paying a subscription fee for a site I rarely use anymore.

Seattle, WA

I have been accessing my journal data ok for the past few weeks, but I would like to be able to export the data onto a spreadsheet like Google Sheets. Is there a way to do this? Thanks

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Well here it is Sept 2021. I have always thought my journals would be accessible by me and 7 days go I contacted admin to find where they are. No answer to date. Then I find this posting and am well past the deadline set down. It wouldn't have been that difficult to make a broad notification to ALL members that you were making this change. Paying or non paying shouldn't be an issue. Basically you have wiped out the past 19 years of my gardening life. You might as well have deleted me from this site. The results are the same.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.