Cuttings, when to pot

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been experimenting with some woody wisteria cuttings I placed some in pots and some in a bucket with a fish filter to circulate and aerate the water. I had added a bit of BioWeed to the water. I have used KelpMax in a previous experiment and got cuttings to root.

So far can't really say how the potted cuttings are doing as I have not seen any vegetative growth. Meanwhile the pieces in the bucket are showing signs of proto roots. Do I wait for them to actually make roots (been a few weeks with no change in them) or is it suggested I pot them in soil? These cuttings have grown leaves.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Water roots and dirt roots are different creatures, don't always transfer with ease, how did it come out?

Kimberly, WI(Zone 5a)

I'd be curious as to how this project is going as well.. I seem to be in a similar boat with my Staphylea cutting. I have had some nubs poking out of the submerged tip cutting, without much further progress in the past couple weeks. There do appear to be some growing buds at the bases of the forking nodes that aren't in any rush to expand.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

They will stall almost always, building roots. First year creep, 2nd year leap.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good grief! If only there was a way to control the wisteria planted by the previous owner of my property. It is up trees and down hillsides by the acre. It's a challenge to keep the one cultivated wisteria arbor we allow off the house siding and foundation twenty feet away. This requires cutting every four weeks. We collect buckets of seeds to limit the spread, use Roundup in non-food growing areas and spend dedicated days digging and cutting. Please let me know how many pounds for postage you want. Trying to propagate wisteria is unfathomable in my zone. I've seen several other similar posts and am amazed.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

They don't have our months of heat, humidity nor sandy soil up there in Wash state and Wis. MayPop, their cuttings are probably just sulking in cool conditions, chuckl.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The old expression is the first year, they weep, second year creep, third year leap.

My wisteria took years to finally climb trees and bloom this year. Now they have oodles of seed pods and sprouts along the base that grow 8 feet or more in a few weeks. I can cut them off and turn around and there they are once again - 6 to 8 foot long ground hugging shoots. Love it for its blooms but it may be a monster.

Last photo is of a church we drive by with wisteria all around it. The fragrance is overwhelming when it is this thick with blooms.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Kimberly, WI(Zone 5a)

Quote from kittriana :
They don't have our months of heat, humidity nor sandy soil up there in Wash state and Wis. MayPop, their cuttings are probably just sulking in cool conditions, chuckl.

I don't know where you've been in Wisconsin, but you are wrong on both the sand and the humidity. While I might live in Dolomite clay, you don't have to travel far to get to a huge part of the state on Granite and sand. I have yet to find anywhere around the Wisconsin River that isn't sandy.

As far as cool summers go.. I miss them. Powderly mildew is one of the biggest problems in my area, followed closely by other fungal pathogens that all love hot, humid conditions. I don't ever remember it not being humid here, in the clay areas, and not much less in the sandy regions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.