How do I correct a poorly begun peach tree?

Hello everybody!
I am completely new to this subject. I've researched, but haven't found information specific to my problem, so I hope someone hereabouts can help me. I was given a young (2-3 years old I guess) poorly pruned peach tree (pictures attached) in a 2 gallon pot. From what I saw, the roots don't seem to be very well developed (far from being root-bound). I planted it with a mixture of the sandy soil it came in, some store-bought garden soil, and some natural fertilizer. It's about 10 feet tall, and 12-18 inches above the ground - where I'm thinking of pruning below the two, narrowly crotched scaffolding branches - the trunk is one inch in diameter. From what I've read and seen, I need to chop it back to a stub to create 3-4 new, better angled scaffolds. My questions are: should I in fact do this, is it ok to do it now in the middle of May, and how risky is it? I am in Ankara, Turkey, which I'm told has a climate similar to Denver. Thanks in advance for your help!

The 3rd one is a close-up of trunk below the scaffolds

Thumbnail by permanewbie Thumbnail by permanewbie Thumbnail by permanewbie

I just noticed that both branches of the fork appear to be grafted also. So 3 grafts in total. Am I correct, and does this matter in what to do? Photo below. I've also added a photo of the first three branches on the most upright main branch. So if I prune the other main branch, these will be the new scaffolds. They are about 4 feet from the ground.

Thumbnail by permanewbie Thumbnail by permanewbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.