SOLVED: California Yellow Flower ID Help

Monrovia, CA

I'm in the metropolitan Los Angeles area and I've been through every single image in Calflora looking for this plant over the last year and I cannot identify it. It looks like some kind of Asteraceae, but who knows?

The plant appears to be some kind of perennial that dies back during the summer and all but disappears. It shows up again the next year.

The flowers are on stalks about 10 inches above the leaves and the petals turn white as the flower dies. The whole plant is about 3 inches across.

It's just one plant and in precisely the same spot. It has not reseeded in the couple of years I've been watching it.

Whatever it is, it's a volunteer and I have not seen any like it anywhere else in the neighborhood. It's probably some super-common plant that I can't think of.

Thumbnail by rduncan Thumbnail by rduncan Thumbnail by rduncan
Monrovia, CA

Underside of flower.

Thumbnail by rduncan
Plainfield, IL

Could it be a type of coreopsis?

Monrovia, CA

It looks so similar to several Leptosyne, but the underside is totally different than the pictures for all of them.

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0715+0497

This message was edited May 11, 2020 11:17 AM

Monrovia, CA

Based on the receptacle, I suspect it's some sort of Eriophyllum.

Monrovia, CA

I am wrong. I do believe it's a Tetraneuris scaposa. Not native to this area. I wonder how it got here.

nice post

EASTSOUND, WA(Zone 8a)

what a beautiful little plant. i like that you ID'd i would have suspected eriophyllum too. great sleuthing and research.

nice post

91347, USA Minor Outlying Islands

Thanks

91347, USA Minor Outlying Islands

Miami, FL

Nice Post...

LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom

It looks so like a few Leptosyne, however the underside is very surprising than the photos for every one of them.

LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom

This post is very simple to read and appreciate.

Fort Worth, TX

Vancouver, Canada

It looks so like a few Leptosyne, however the underside is very surprising than the photos for every one of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.