new gardner with lots of questions!

Bridgewater, MA

Hi everybody brand new to gardening and the forum. I have picked a project for my first attempt at gardening/landscaping, i just purchased 50 Nellie R Stevens Holly trees they are coming in 3 1/2" liners from a nursery. now keep in mind i'm so green i had to research what a liner was! I have researched this holly tree quite a bit, i think its a good choice for massachusetts i'm trying to border large parts of my property for a wind sound and privacy barrier.

my question is should i bump these out of their liners into a planter pot and let them mature more? I have read that the Nellie could go from liner to ground but i would like optimal odds for success and have no problem potting them for a year?, give them a better chance for successful planting in the earth.

Like i said i'm new! brand spankin new! so any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have Nellie's in pots on decks but used Burfords for privacy screening. Burfords offered dense coverage while Nellie's were more formal with a sculpted pyramid shape. The Burfords were in ten gallon containers and Nellie's in five.

Our lot is almost two acres. However the garage sits close to the property line and awkwardly close to the neighbor's bedroom windows. Very happy with the visual result and the huge draw for cardinals. I can share pictures.

In your weather I'd definitely baby them in pots for several years. But what happens next winter? They will be exposed to colder root temps in pots than in ground. You will have to heel them in, that is bury pots, to insulate roots. This is common practice up your way.

Miami, FL

Hi! We have Nellie's too. That's fine, every one of us was a newbie. If you'll need something there are a lot of tutorials and cervices that researched everything for you, brave new world) I needed a new garden fork a couple of days ago and found this list: https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-garden-fork/
That's just funny how the researched even the forks)
You'll have to watch Nellies closely especially during the winters, and that's better to put them out of the liner, that's for sure

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.