miscanthus in partial shade: any experience using variegated forms w/ success? Or alternative tall \"grass\"/other quick growing privacy options?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm hoping to encorporate some miscanthus sinensis (mostly for privacy, as a "quick hedge") in my small, winter shade to part-shade/summer pt sun-bright shade urban garden. I read in Neil Lucas' "Designing with Grasses" that the variegated varieties (he names variegatus, Cabaret, Dixieland, among others) can do well in relatively low light, and generalizes that to include all varieties that are grown more for their texture than their seedheads/blossoms. I've done a lot of online research and found varying degrees of support for this proposition, but interestingly, the really pretty 'Morning Light' is said by many to be shade-hardy: which follows the presumption that those grown for their texture rather than their plumes are more successful. Wondering if anyone has any real-life experience with this--or suggestions for alternatives. I love the look of 'Morning Light' but I was planning to use 'Strictus'; it is pretty cool looking, even if it doesn't have the fuzzy glow that ML has, and most importantly given the size of my backyard, has a very, very upright habit.

It seems to me that, given that it is a warm season grower and it will be dormant when light is the leanest in my backyard, this could work.

Also wondering whether 'Strictus'--Porcupine Grass--is technically considered a variegated grass; it, and Zebra Grass, are named differently; it might not matter, but I swear I read somewhere that the "sideways" variegation is something entirely different. And Lucas doesn't expressly include these varieties as those that will succeed in shade--so wanted to doublecheck.

New to Dave's Garden, and going to crosspost in grasses forum--hope that's ok.

Thanks all for your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.