Is anyone here?

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Is this forum still active? I let my subscription lapse, but have renewed, and what I once knew as a once very vibrant forum seems to have been deserted. I'm not seeing any new posts whatsoever. :( Maybe my settings are off...?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

So many people have quit. Forum is still there for anyone to post on.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I came back after a break also and my favorite forums are all empty. Well we shall just have to perk them up!!!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm here but haven't been in the las few monhs, but am looking to get it going again. Why have so many folks left?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe they are too busy outside? IDK.. but regardless we can get it going :) Tomatoes are just starting to come in here so we will have plenty to talk about!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Everybody got p---- off when Dave sold out to somebody else. Then he started something else and everyone flocked there. I checked it out once & it was crap. Don't know if it goes or not.
Lots of old favorite people have died, Roadrunner, Ernie, & more.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a few pictures of this year at Country Gardens.
# 1 is early May in house # 1
# 2 is June 12
# 3 is end of June
# 4 were picked end of June
# 5 is house # 2 early July

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have 3 hoop houses with tomatoes. Over 700 plants, all inside & pruned & hung on strings. # 1 house are now 15 ft tall.
This picture is mostly cherry tomatoes.
This is our display at farmers market, August 11.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

wow, I just got my first tomatoes! course I got a late start.. sigh no pics cause I ate them

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Bernie do you remember how long ago that was? I left and I am trying ot remember if its cause stuff changed or just cause I wasnt gardening that much anymore.. or cause there werent the people there used to be. hmm oh well glad to be back and glad to see you are still here :)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I joined 2001.Went to Round ups, 2006 to 2011. So it must have been around 2012 when he sold. Round up's were fun and I still have plants all over my yard that came from trades. Mostly Hostas.
Those early tomatoes were planted in the hoop house April 21. We could heat it on cold nights. First picking was early June. Used a variety called Jetsetter. Wonderful tomato, always very round, & taste great. Best taste for any tomato. They run 7 oz to 12 oz. We constantly get $3.00 per pound at market. Biggest share are $1.00 each, which is very easy to sell.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Shot Holes in my tomato plants. Anyone know what is causing them? (picture attached I hope).

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

No Picture came through :( I have heard that birds will get into the tomatoes if they are thirsty

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Again!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Errr ah

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

well Fiddle. whats going on with your pics?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

just seeing if I can do it

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

agin

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I give up. chose the pix from my database, uploaded it to my message. see the pix and then posted it but my msg went without the pix.
????

Thumbnail by riceke
Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

By this time I found what it is eating my tomato leaves. Its a teeny, weeny caterpillar on the under side of the leaf. Don't know what it is but will find out if any succeed after my efforts of eliminating them.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

is it Fuzzy or green?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey all, I made a new thread in Daylilies about reclaiming my gardens. pictures included. Go check it out :)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

riceke, wondering how your tomatoes are going?
CG are your tomatoes still coming on strong? Mine are just beginning to ripen. Not overwhelmed yet lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, almost getting more than we can sell. Will be picking again today.
I am giving up on heirlooms. Nobody will buy tomatoes with big cracks & other things they have. People love nice perfect tomatoes.
Pictures later.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

boo.. hey there is a nice tomato I just discovered.. probably been around forever but its call Red Italian Pear. really nice ribbed for, No Cracks great for sauce or bruschetta.. lovely deep red color and very productive..

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Pictures. What we picked today in our # 2 hoophouse.
# 1 - 3 to 4 oz size, they will go 6 to a basket for $3.00.
# 2 - small size, make a basket look full $2.00.
# 3 - 5 to 6 oz size, they will go 4 to a basket for $3.00.
# 4 - 8 oz & larger, sell by 2 to basket for $3.00.
# 5 - Yellow ones are Pork Chop. A low acid true yellow.
Each are priced @ $2.25 lb.
Wild Boar Farms sells the seed. wildboarfarms.com

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

They look scrumptious!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Out pruning this morning.
1st picture a plant before pruning.
2nd picture, same plant after pruning.
Rest are just random pictures of the tomatoes.
These all are in high tunnel.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey wow lots of maters!. so tell me more about pruning tomatoes! I have never done it

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I keep them to one stem. So any branches that grow after the tomato starts growing are removed. A string is hung down from a chain about 7 feet off the ground. Special little clips hold the stem onto the string. Then any suckers that grow a re cut off. So going up the stem, you have leaves, then a tomato cluster, then 3 leaves, then another cluster. This continues as the tomato plant grows. Suckers grow where the leaf comes out of the stem. These are cut off. My plants are now around 12 feet long.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, seed cabinet is nearly done.
Here's some pictures.
Most seeds are ordered or here. Getting ahead of the crowd. Last year certain varieties were sold out.
Containers are empty medicine bottles, peanut butter jars, & small vials found on Amazon.
Also pic of an African Violet that's been around for years.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well I guess this is the end of a long running and successful Saves Garden. No journals, no blogs that I have kept nearly 20 years of all my plants and yearly garden logs. My question to the owners/managers is why did you buy this web, because you sure haven't made any improvements.

Smithfield, VA, United States

Quote from CountryGardens :
Out pruning this morning.
1st picture a plant before pruning.
2nd picture, same plant after pruning.
Rest are just random pictures of the tomatoes.
These all are in high tunnel.

I've never pruned my tomatoes in my home garden. Is that something that is important to do?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I think some pruning in a garden might be OK.
In the high tunnel they are planted thick, only 12" apart, that's one reason to prune.
Also need them to live a long time.
I've seen some you tube video's that say to prune the lower part o the plant to allow for air movement to keep disease away.
Check out some of those videos'.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I was just reading over this whole thing and it's such a shame about what all has happened. i remember a few years ago that i became inactive due to some major things happening (moving away to another state, things falling apart there and having to end up coming back home). So it's a shame to see the site being the ghost town that it is, now. 😔

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree JMC and I am bad too cause I forgot to come

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.