Can a compost bin be started this time of year in Michigan?

Plymouth, United States

I am going to make a simple one with cedar boards. I'm going to make it even if it's too late to start using it. Or can I use it this time of year? I eat a LOT of vegetables and always have lots of peelings, etc. There are also a lot of leaves & stuff that I am getting from dethatching the lawn.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm fairly certain you can use - as in add material to - a compost bin any time you can get to it. The materials may not decompose very rapidly at lower temperatures, but that's no reason to skip the accumulation.

I also wanted to compliment the excellent choice of screen name...

Glen Burnie, MD

Yes you can compost but keeping it in direct sunlight and insulating it with leaves and a tarp will help. Also if you can keep your compost above the ground that will help it break down also.

https://youtu.be/sdp3RIoaMXo

Gulfport, MS

Hello, I think I can help you. If you're having a lot of garbage from your cooking, of course, you can compost it. But I'm confident that everybody needs some expert help. So this is a piece of advice from my mother because she knows what's best for everyone. When I was renovating my new home, I was left with a lot of garbage. It wasn't pleasant for the eye because it occupied a lot of the garden space.

This message was edited May 16, 2021 9:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.