Gardening for an eldery person

Warsaw, Poland

Hello :)

I am a volunteer in an organisation for the eldery people. I know that some of them are reaaally really interested in gardening, but 1. they do not have a real garden right now (rather a balcony or a small pit), 2. they are sometimes 80-90 years old, so it's not that easy to do all the stuff.

Do you have some tips for me what to recommend to them? Any particular plants? Maybe some equipment?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Palm Springs, CA

I am age 93.9 and do at least an hour of gardening every day. I have an acre so it takes not only me but my hired man another two hours a week to keep it in top shape. (See photos).

Thumbnail by dprell Thumbnail by dprell
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Older gardeners are not able to bend over with ease anymore, so a raised outdoor table can make a great small garden area for container plants. It brings the plants up to eye-level and makes them easy to water and care for. One of the best ways to make a quick garden is to buy cell-paks(6 plants) from the nursery center like impatiens, celosia, marigolds, petunias, etc. to share among the seniors. They can easily be planted into larger 4" pots or even 2-3 plants in 6"-10"pots. Plastic pots are good, so are clay pots--wash them if they're used. Be sure to use sterile soil from the nursery center that is for potted plants. The plants should root out fairly quickly and bloom most of the summer and into fall. Enjoy!

This message was edited May 24, 2018 6:25 AM

This message was edited May 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Warsaw, Poland

Quote from dprell :
I am age 93.9 and do at least an hour of gardening every day. I have an acre so it takes not only me but my hired man another two hours a week to keep it in top shape. (See photos).

Hour of gardening? wow. Can you tell me what plants you have in your biiiiig biiiiig garden? Also: thank you for reply

Warsaw, Poland

Quote from laurebot :
Older gardeners are not able to bend over with ease anymore, so a raised outdoor table can make a great small garden area for container plants. It brings the plants up to eye-level and makes them easy to water and care for. One of the best ways to make a quick garden is to buy cell-paks(6 plants) from the nursery center like impatiens, celosia, marigolds, petunias, etc. to share among the seniors. They can easily be planted into larger 4" pots or even 2-3 plants in 6"-10"pots. Plastic pots are good, so are clay pots--wash them if they're used. Be sure to use sterile soil from the nursery center that is for potted plants. The plants should root out fairly quickly and bloom most of the summer and into fall. Enjoy!

This message was edited May 24, 2018 6:25 AM

This message was edited May 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Thank you for this elaborate answer, I will for sure use it.
I was thinking of freesias actually.

So I should probably go to the gardening centre and bring a lot of bulbs from them. (I will eventually become a bulb shopaholic, the last time I went there, the choice was so wide that I didn't know what to buy :D ).

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Bulbs are also good plants for containers. The freesias are finished blooming by late spring but bulbs may be available at the garden center as early as June. I also became a bulbaholic many years ago so I know how you feel. Each bloom only lasts a short time but they are so stunning. How about daylilies (bloom in June/July)?. Bearded iris can be planted this fall for spring bloom, too. And Lilies grown in containers let you enjoy them when they bloom, then move them to another location for winter dormancy. The best advice is to buy the bulbs that you like best, then keep a journal from season to season to chart when they bloom and the care they need. The seniors will certainly appreciate the beauty of bulb flowers!

Warsaw, Poland

Laurebot, it's a great idea.

Maybe I should introduce a bulb competition. A person who grows the best plant out of the bulbs I give them wins :D. (I would make them feel a bit competetive :) ).

Now I'll just have to think about the number of bulbs for every person. (The one who wins will get more next year!).

Palm Springs, CA

lui85 in Poland: I am in a desert community, so most of my plants need little water to thrive. Since I have lived here for over 20 years, most of my trees and plants are quite mature, and need little more than trimming and shaping. But it keeps me in trim, and that is all I need!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

The competition sounds great. Best Wishes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.