Plant propagation the Basics March 2018

Fort Worth, TX

A new thread for the beginning of spring!

We came from here,

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1465809/

and Kitt, what is snail candy?

This message was edited Mar 1, 2018 8:28 AM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Snail and slug bait such as Sluggo. I use it year round inside the basement jungle and outside in Spring thru summer. Works on slugs and snails. I found a huge two inch slug wrapped around the top main stem at the Y of one of my brugs earlier this winter, by chance, when I went down to count some seeds. You would be surprised at what comes out at night down there. LOL I'm selling all these plants. I'm not feeling it any more.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

It gets to be a chore, its time to go. Understand. I threw it out- threw it ON a fat slug, but it rained again. Saw a large yelloew butterfly mosey past, prob a sulphur. Ju, I chunked these seeds into the tray and ignored them. Now I am trying to figure out if they are A. laeve, or curassavica. I suspect these are A laeve since they are a larger seed case, came from you. I think they spent 5 days in rain, cold and gray. I am gearing up my pots to hold what I cannot release into our steamy jungle swamp. You should have heard the rainfrogs last night under the full moon...I need to go tie my bamboo canes in the arch I want and sow some morning glories. And start another brush pile to burn.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

I'd take that brugmansia off your hands if I was closer and didn't have that border between us Debra. LOL.

Fort Worth, TX

It is a nice Brug.

I can't have the heavy fancy ones anymore. Planting 3 sisters (corn, beans and squash) in my big pots and giving to kids/grandkids this year. I have nice strawberry popcorn seed for the corn, Jacob's cattle vine for the bean and anything they want in squash. One pot, 3 corn, probably one squash and maybe 2 beans, and that pot is gone from my house.

I don't use sluggo, I use epsom salt. Put a ring around the perimeter of the porch, if it gets washed in the flower bed it's all good. I do shovel up the bodies now and then

This message was edited Mar 1, 2018 5:43 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Vinegar here around the porch, with these rains, and the moss, well...got to figure out the leaf curl on the mater. I wish for brugs, but they are kinda not tuff enough for this on again off again weather. Even the bouquets are sprouting, tempting, tempting, but I think no propagating something in a color I have ambivalent feelings about. My brush pile has been cheerfully slow burning since noon. One thing I do like about sweetgum balls is how they smell when they burn. Only good thing, tho. Was missing greenstuff in my kitchen window, so trimmed the parsley, then took blooms from the mustard bolting. I feel better, and the parsley still is overly thick. All the plants are bolting, our cold spell means a lo of 51* tonite. One more main freeze this month tho.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

hmmm I will try the epsom salts, i use it in my watering cans anyway.. cant hurt to try it. Three sisters pots sounds good. I've rooted so much stuff on the top of the fridge and then thrown it out as I've forgotten about it. Love to see things making roots, tho.
I've lots of fancy dancy mgs for you, kitt. I tested some for germination and they popped right away. Alice, I've got some seeds for your grands, too. I just have too many everything.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got caught up on the Feb. thread...

Loretta, Tucker is so cute.

Ju, nice to see the green popping up.

Keith, I've seen Sun Dogs here in FL, I have a photo of one somewhere.

Kitt, those orange tabbies are talkers, I've had a few in my lifetime. My Carolina Jessamine has no scent, I didn't know there are some scented. The confederate Jasmine is filling the air with fragrance now. Yikes on the snake, reminds me to wear my gloves.

Debra, blooms are beautiful, what is that first one? My brug froze back but is getting lots of new growth again, same colors as yours.

My seeds are all sprouting outside, but I'm dealing with critters big time, between the squirrels, and birds digging them up. lost some of my coleus. I'm not doing vegetables this year, just too much going on with my dad, working two yards is getting to be a lot.
My tomato plant giving me some good tomatoes now but soon it will be dying off when the heat picks up to almost 90F, we had a few days just below that a week ago. This week going to be cooler than it was in all of Feb. Go figure.

Neighborhood has been having a black bear raid bird feeders, so no more seed out here. Wrens are making nest is all kinds of strange places. Pollen all over everything, nose blowing season.

Oxdrift, Canada

Didn't think you would have black bears in Florida Sherri

Fort Worth, TX

Black bears are everywhere I think Keith. Except Texas, I don't think we have enough woods to have them, maybe east Texas does. Good to see you SunKissed.

Debra I sprinkle the epsom salts on the porch, surrounding the food dish for the feral cats (they like cat food.) then I scrape up the bodies with a shovel if needed or a paper towel if I'm on time. Flowerbeds surround the porch.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A lillium Looks like a pineapple
Tulips
Siberian Iris from seed
Someone sais something about moss
Wild Meadow Rue , last years sprout from seed

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Rue and columbine or am I wrong about the triplicate leaves in thinking our local name for them is columbine?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I remember that about the DFW area - my brother kept a ring of salt around his pet foods to deter slugs they are so bad. I fed toward the birds - the woodpeckers took right to the suet- but the squirrels do their best to get the small black sunflower seeds, and there is so much food popping up, no more feeding birds here either- until the hummingbirds show up in the next few weeks heading north. Got my mild jalapeno pepper plants now, but the maters are needing nutrients they are growing so fast, thats tomorro if I can find where I put it. Noticed I have asparagus now

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Columbine and Rue are different Columbine is a larger blooming (?Aquilega ?)
Rue is Thalictrum Leaves do resemble to start

Kitt only onions growing here

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Won't be long, Ju. Daylite Savings Time is March 11, Easter in a few weeks, it is slammin in fast down here. Was researching snail traps, but slugs are hogging the show. No sense buying Bud for traps if yeast and sugar will do the trick, but I wish it would kill them, not feed them 😕😲.
Somewhere or other I acquired Magic Seaweed several years back. Decided to mix it up. Chuckl. It is like a dried fruit pulp and thinly dried and stuck to the plastic. I dissolved that jam rollup. Made my fingers feel soft and wrinkled in half the time. Chuckl. My fertilizer is missing, so I have a 'bloom increase fertilizer' and MAYBE I havent burned those maters... my light meter tells me gray days and house light is 200 lumens, but if the sun comes out I peg over 2000 and plus. A before and now picture, of the flowerbed we just tossed and reset. Cedar posts gone, rock border in, Sago trimmed, aloes culled... come on pix upload! Wanting to double my post again with wifi boppin in and out... well, they wont load.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I stopped feeding the birds about 5 years ago. I had many doves and thy would line up on my wrought iron fence that is the barrier to the greenbelt and poop. Pretty soon you couldn't see the fence for the poop. I do feed the hummingbirds and the bees feed off the flowers. The smaller birds eat the aphids and I have many, many small lizards. When the owls showed up the doves left. I never had pigeons but neighbors did and they also disappeared with the owls.

My housekeeper is here tomorrow and that gives me free time to garden. She can run out into the yard and get me if Mr. Winter is having a problem. We are suppose to be in the 70s this next week.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt I don't do much about the Red Snails , Their frog and toad food here Sluf type things are rarely a problem ,

Sharon We had a bunch of doves here some time ago, Then Hawks ,, fewer doves ,,

Yesterday my shredder was dragged out of storage , missing a nut one set of blades is and was , as how that happened after setting all winter ? Other set of blades were dull .. I put the little mulch I made on the Daylily Earlier I used the Miracle gro on the few that are growing already ,

This message was edited Mar 5, 2018 7:31 AM

Fort Worth, TX

Seeinvtoads and frogs, up-potting A. tuberosa to 1 gallons for the plant sale, hoping to see sprouts from last week's seeds. Tomato seeds popping in the greenhouse

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Holy Guacamole!!! Sunshine and shpping and I am worn out! We even hit the plant nurseries, and while shopping for tomato fertilizer, up jumped Happy Frog. I am tickled! Perfect timing, chuckl.
I am hoping these sprouts are A.curassavica and holding my breath its what I threw in there. Anybody accustomed to seeing these as sprouts? Am watering my beds as of yesterday since I didnt get any rain. Seems as tho everything waits on the rain to grow tho...

Thumbnail by kittriana

Yes, Looks like you have some baby milkweeds. Congrats, Momma!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt love the seedlings !!!

Debra , Hello ,, Here are Auntie's lillium (White ) from you
Seed sprout !

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

very nice baby milkweeds Kitt! Rainwater is the best for germination. I have buckets all around my house to catch it including a couple of 55 gallon drum buckets.

I only have three 55 gasllon rain barrells and a whole lot of tubs, but, it has to rain or snow to get water in them....*sigh* so we still use our "gray" water from the shower and the sink.
Ju here is what Great Aunt Effie's flower looks like.. I'm pretty sure this is an iris of some type, she called it an orchid iris.. I'm so glad it popped for you! :D

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra That is pretty !!! Seeds still look like lilly ,, lol
to cold here for much outside,
soon though

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I guess I better plant them out!! I was just hoping they didn't turn into the honeyvine milkweed, but I dont see a tendency for the leaves to turn heart shaped from these. I love that orchid, and the sprout! Not long to go Ju, tho I know Deb is still having drouth in Colo.

Yes Keith, lots of black bears in Central FL, they even had an open management hunt on them two years ago.

I guess the lizards and frogs eat our snails and slugs, I hardly see any.

Birds still come around here even without putting seeds out, Hawks, doves and Owls, lots of Cardinals, wrens, woodpeckers and blue and Scrub jays. Hummingbird feeder attracts too many ants, and they prefer the salvia anyway.
I have to get my milkweed seeds in the ground, I have been so far behind this year, I hope I'm not too late, grabbed some off a friends plant this past weekend. Still cool enough here and rain starting to pick back up.

Enjoying all the seedlings you all pictured. Debra pretty lily. I inherited an orchid from my Aunt, it is blooming now, the year she passed it bloomed like I've never seen before, but since just a few flowers each year..

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Well, I sure hope it's her Iris. LOL if it is a lilly then I have no clue which one, all my lilly seeds look like flakes, tho. Kitt, you and Alice are certainly in a Spring Mode, as is Sheri. Hope you are having fun. Still no moisture here just fires now all around the counties, over 35 acres burned so far just in the past 36 hours. *sigh* So, here is my new passion flower... :D

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Nice Red Flower ,,

Not Many orchids bloom or grow here
Sun Nice one !!!

Ju, it is really an iris, a water loving one, it only blooms when it gets lots and lots of rain here, I dont have a bog area any more. Aunt Effie always called it an "orchid Iris" cuz it reminded her of the Orchids she USED to grow back in the 20's. Man, that was a long time ago. It is the only thing I have of hers, just glad it is not a peony! LOL She has been gone 20 yrs now so that tells you how old this heirloom is. First time for a seed pod from it, hope that doesn't mean it won't come back, I didn't plant any of those seeds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra I like to try , But the problem with some seeds , it can take them years to sprout Reading 12yrs for some orchids up to 17 yrs or more for some iris ,,

Talking about seed starting here while it is dusting snow here seems difficult on the enthusiasm ,lol
Thinking about the plants (well , witting and wondering )

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The witting fails when the cold winds return. Sun, windy 63* and dry enough the band slid off my ponytail. I brought my pots in because I was cold. The ones in ground will be fine as is. I am just freezing and its still 47*. I want to read, but I keep nodding off. Catch ya all tomorro

HA! I try to sort seeds and fall asleep. I am cold , too, and it is 52.. I have to be at 80 or higher to feel "warm".. I did throw out some Jewell Of Opar seeds today, since the wind died down. I put them in one pot. I want just one of all my flower seeds to come up, not 20 :P

Fort Worth, TX

Looks like an aquatic Iris I grow in ponds. Pretty nice passion flower too. Nothing gets planted tll saturday here.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Congratulations to you two for keeping your beautiful heirloom plants going. I haven't been so good about that. I usually get handed off something I'm not interested in and if I'm not interested, I forget to bring it in in the fall.
Debra, what is this one that looks like a yellow and salmon morning glory?
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10349026
Nice new passion flower, btw. Here is my relatively new one last night. And then the backyard. Pretty much everything is looking like this Sky Pencil in the third photo.
And Tucker thanks you all for the kind comments.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Oxdrift, Canada

Oh my God Loretta. Welcome to the north!

Wow, Loretta...well it is pretty, but glad not in my backyard. Tucker doesn't look too happy. That branch looks like it is laying on the car, but probably an optical illusion.

Debra hope you get some rain soon, fires no good, nice passion flower...love the color...tee hee.

Windy today and cold, although I'm sure when I tell you it is 59 at 1:26PM, you roll your eyes at this Florida girl. LOL.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

59 is beautiful! Not an optical illusion, Sherri. And there is a dent. Nothing stays new in my house.
Keith, they say the artic air was pushed south with warm air being pushed North. Not good for global warming. At the same time, we had one of the warmest Februarys on record. A few things are blooming under the snow right now.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Oxdrift, Canada

Loretta, it is hard to believe those beautiful blooms are being posted from the same yard as your last post.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

It has been a crazy season but I'm starting seeds anyway. Usually I can kick things out of the house sometime in April. I'm still counting on that.

Thanks for all the compliments on my new red passion flower. I actually drove it today. LOL
Loretta, I think we are in the same growing zone, except we have had no snow for about three or four years now. It's been a really cold winter, tho. I can believe that those blooms were under snow before, and your fur-babies are so adorable. Sunkissed, I lived two winters in Miami before I married Joe. I loved it. It was fabulous. I told him if he goes before me, I'm going back down there. LOL
The morning glory you asked about is called Brazilian morning glory, aka Stictocardia beraviensis https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/168689/#b
I have had this one for about 5 years now.. I also have things kicked out in April usually by my birthday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.