Propagation efforts and results ( the basics) Dec ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here it is , by request Chat and show what you grow , the visitors , the whole garden

Debra I have several saved for you seeds , I have yours and another I need to finish , I am really slow getting things done lately , I think that may be age anxiety ,lol ?
Snapdragon and Daylily I am starting are slow to arrive and sprout

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread, I am sure everyone appreciates it. I've decided to wait until early spring to send out seed packets to everyone, it gives me something to do
( sorting and putting names on whose they are) while the football games are on.
( I hate football) Went outside in the wind and even tho it was 64!!!! it felt cold. Got the empty gallon water jugs re-filled from the last rain barrell. Still no rain now for almost 21 days here in Derby. Every drop of sink water goes right out to the gardens .
here are some of the flower seeds I am sorting to send..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Oh, we came from here: https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1465809/
Don't want to lose anyone!
Royal Catchfly with Eupatorium

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Your welcome pretty flowers too , When I get some energy going I will finish the seeds ,, I was going to add the came from , but as said , doing things slowly I am , Thank you for the link add ,

Snapdragon sprouts

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Kids put the tree up, we left off breakables for our kittens health. Had a 10 yr old tell me he was too old for Santa, so drug this out. I think it was prob back in the 90's, yes, I still love bell bottoms, but havent pulled a pair of jeans on since maybe '98. I seriously doubt Maria is still alive, she was near retiring then, but went back to Nicaragua when she did.
My hopefully mouser is sitting in my spot on the bed acting like hes growing again. (Sleeping) Love all those pix!

Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks for the morning coffee chuckle Kitt. You must have dug deep for that one. LOL.
Keith

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Great Blast from the past, made my morning. My dad and I were looking at some old photo albums he had found in a closet, I took pictures of the pictures with my cell phone and they turned out quite well. Got to love these cell phones.

Debra, beautiful flowers, and love the bird and nest photos, I've seen some crazy stuff in bird and especially squirrel nests.

Crazy squirrel in my garden, follows me around.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Great photos from the past and the now. That second squirrel shot is awesome. Sun is shining.... no rain in forecast, record highs. Fire alert.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Squirrel is cute ,

Snapdragons sprouting , to later be blooming red
Kitties are curled up in a chair for a bed .
While dreams of treats and chases are in their head

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

oh Ju, :D I have this cat up here on MY desk ON MY Laptop trying to get at the bird feeders she sees outside thru the window. Me- A Cat? I am 65 years old and this is the first cat I have ever taken care of. I VISIT the other two, I'm thinking those cat dad and mom must be jealous, Eh? ( My other two adult children) My son's cat, Chief...

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cats are not real difficult to take care of , Most of the cats I have had or when young (we had as children) were usually a happen , it just occurred ,
Those two above are housebroke , they have a pan but prefer outside ,

Snapdragon seedlings today

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Seedlings looking good! At the moment I am trying to teach doodle-oooo that his stick toys are not the same as electric cords. He takes delight when I am reading at trying to eat the charging cord. The older cat is playing with him better, but it sounds like a war going on. When I check, you can't tell who is chasing who.
Am back to cleaning out the yaupons and smilax, a never ending chore...if the rain comes in tonite half of the plants consigned to the burn pile are apt to start growing again except for the cold. This fake tree keeps sending me spruce whiffs from somewhere

Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

Ju, from way up here at the north pole the thought of snapdragon seedlings in December is just weird! When do those go in the ground?
Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt nice tree Oh Christmas tree Oh Christmas tree ,,,

Keith in Spring a long time from now , Those will be in pots on the plant table Snapdragons have to be very large to survive here ,
I separated one last night A dozen hopefully , for lots of Buckeye butterflies .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Today

1st is going no fair , I didn't do anything , How come I have to stand alone ,?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Fun watching the snapdragons, they like cool weather here, last about two months and then heat does them in. I was wondering if you were doing them inside or out, but Keith beat me to the question.

Pretty tree Kitt.
I just have a little tabletop tree past couple years...it is an artificial tree, actually the top part of the large tree we used to put up, the cats did in the bottom of that one. :-)
My poinsettia bush is starting to turn red out in the garden, glad the cold nights didn't damage it.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

I LOVE watching little sprouts. Lately I have had more damp off than ever. I have no tree, no lights, not even the wreath up. Kids ( adults) are all upset because I am not doing the traditional Christmas thing here. I am going to Texas. No Grandkids, adult children, they can now fend for themselves since they choose to not go with us. Only one has chosen to go with us , and I am driving up to KC, MO to get her, and then we are leaving VERY early the next day to Texas. Can't wait to see my family down there.
Beautiful trees, big or little, love the fact that spruce wafts in to you from the artificial one, Kitt. I've been baking cookies and can't even smell them. :P
Hi Kieth! I wish it would snow or rain or something here.. ( After we leave)

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi all. Just for comparison Ju, I looked back to my notes from 2015, the last time I grew snapdragon and I seeded them inside on April 15 for planting outside in early June. Nice job on the Poinsettia Sherry.
Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , The fresh green of little sprouts or even some plants ,as you walk in a room is delightful , always ever so cheerful ,

Keith mine do not go outside much before yours , However , The buckeye butterfly larvae and few moths that eat them make larger size a must ,
Cabbage white larvae the same on my greens , if I want any , larger and protected a while my plants have to be ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oops I missed the poinsettia post sun , looks good

Debra , hoping fun in the Texas sun to you all

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Damping off probs, yes. Rust this year first time. I have been changing soils, the usuals aren't working. Even my pothos is having issues. I guess them getting more moisture from these cold humid days than from the soil is at fault. I have seen one of the instars of shield bugs outside and was debating the wisdom of a spray... soapy might be the best way to go right now.
I have the dormancy now that I have waited for, so will be doing some transplanting soon.

Oxdrift, Canada

Merry Christmas to all our southern friends. Wishing you all health and happiness with your families

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Merry Christmas to you and all

Some of you have seen this

Thumbnail by juhur7

Wishing a Merry Christmas to all my gardening friends.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Fort Worth, TX

Merry Christmas everyone. Going to shop for some little ones tomorrow.

Have fun, Alice. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to ALL. I'll be in Texas for the next week. Keep posting. I will catch up.

Fort Worth, TX

you are bringing this cold front with you Debra? Pack your coat. We don't have great heaters down here

Well, I did feel it follow us down there, and we left part of it there... came home to 21 degrees, now it is 12 outside, I am spending the day downstairs. Happy New Year!
Japaneses Tea Garden ..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, Colorado is always sending that cold air down on us. I have actually done a bit on my garden- not exactly covered plants in a traditional way, but enough to suffice for us warm weather birds. Pine needles abound here, and we spend a lot of time working at removing the neighbors' bamboo they planted on our property. Dingbat broad thinks bamboo grows on demand on her 1' easement to her road. These bamboo a la leaf will go to the fire when I torch it. Its covering my cold weather herbs right now. Hope your new years eve is all you wish for- mine will be warm curled up with a book...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

All my critters are tucked in and finally hope to plant my seeds that I will winter stratify, tonight. Happy New Year

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is below zero here , no room indoors , and outdoors ? I'm not trying anything ,

I'm too overwhelmed by this cold. I am just snuggling up in blankets and staying on the Twilight Zone marathon. :P
Happy New Year!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra similar ,, Happy New Year ,!!!

Fort Worth, TX

it's really cold but I've been out watering and feeding chickens, moved the young hens in with the rooster (also young), he's got a warmer coop and pretty happy about that. gave away one bunny and brought the smallest one indoors.,

Going to try once again to start my seeds for cold stratificatiion in the refrigerator. Because while it is in the teens here now it will be 65 next sunday

Happy New Year

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Setting records in Houston tonite. Should have set one for the most firecracker explosions last nite. Felt totally exhausted last night, so xtra pillow time this mornin. Checked on my dates for pruning and seeding, not doing anything today except lining up what I will have this year. Brrrr.

Oxdrift, Canada

Happy New Year all. Quit your whining about cold weather. LOL. It's been -34°C and below-40°C with the wind chill for a week here. Have the grandkids for the next two days so hope it warms up enough so we can get out sliding. There were no outside activities when they were all here for Christmas. Waiting for one more catalogue so I can get my seed orders in. Worth waiting for that one as they have the best prices. Succulents and coleus in the basement are the healthiest I've ever had. It was well worth the time I spent lugging them back out to the greenhouse for a soil soak in the fall. No sign of any aphids or other pests at all

Fort Worth, TX

Happy new year, it's cold here. Started cold stratification trays with fairly sterile fresh potting mix and thawed rain water. Asclepius Tuberosa, Green Milkweed (Asclepias viridiflora), some vine milkweed unknown species, and a pink milkweed variety from New York state. The pink comes from a bee forum member who mailed me seeds. Hoping the vine isn't Honeyvine, but don't know, seeds from a Texas volunteer, hill country I think.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well Keith , Do I get a little complain card for - 24 to - 30 C here ? lol
Happy New Year , I hope it will be ,
Minus 12 to minus 15 with chills much colder , (For the Fahrenheit crowd

Gypsi Good growing to you ,,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, you CHOSE to settle there, chuckl. YOU know you have insulation that would simply turn to mold here, then grow legs and wander around...WE build our homes with 5' airspaces UNDER the house (no such thing as a rock grows here). Ju, Indiana still ranks in my book as the coldest mostest miserable state in the states. No windbreaks, no hills, just FLAT. Now, if the clothing stores would get a brain and stock womens clothes for something other than striptease chic, we might be happier.
My planting calendar indicates best planting for belowground is Jan 10,11::: aboveground Jan 20,21,29 and 30. So I am holding out on my seeds as nothing I am putting in goes underground. 6 wks will have me putting outdoors in ground. In the meantime, I am soaking eggshells in vinegar, spraying vinegar on the abundant wealth of weeds, and biding my time sorting old seed catalogs.

Fort Worth, TX

why are you soaking eggshells in Vinegar Kitt? is it for the weed killing or for the garden benefit?

and my onion sets have been on the counter since November, will plant eventually. My broccoli is in the garden under buckets. Swiss chard didn't germinate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.