Propagation efforts and results ( the basics)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

thought we needed a new thread.. we came from here...https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1458107/
here is a propagation reward: started from a seed 6 yeas ago. Mimosa Pink Floss Tree Leaves.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt , That Japanese orchid is Spectacular !!!

Debra , That thread was getting long ,long, long ,Thank you for the new one I planted and covered a couple wild Lupines Only going to be in the 30's tonight ,only that changed from 30 degrees , brrrr that was almost the 20's , yikes ,

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the new thread, Debra,
My daughter-in-law had eye floaters, turned out to be a vitamin B deficiency and she gets B shots now, no more floaters.
That sitting area is new, DH built a small gazebo it this summer with no plans, he really surprised me how nice it turned out, of course the cat thinks it was all for her.

Kitt I enjoyed all the water lilies, you got some nice shots.

I've got lots of agave if any wants it, glad to share. My garden is so full of swaps with other DG friends over the years, I remember each person they came from too. Of course my journal helps me remember. ;-) My garden lot not so big and I fear I've run out of room, so I do more giving these days than receiving.

My dwarf powder puff bush, not so dwarf anymore...lots of seed pods to share. Honey bee magnet. It has frozen to ground level but always comes back.The new gazebo sitting area, better photo.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

sunkissed looks nice and Tropical I am saying that from 40 degrees (sigh) Makes me want to sit in one of those chairs in some nice warm shade with a breeze

Couple of Zinnia today very late ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

No, Bahaunia was at the water garden. No more sprouting mgs, please? not til I get more thicket trimmed back - my stuff spends its winter outside. I refuse to start succulents yet, my brother and my 83 yr old dad are wanting me to visit and plants wont excuse me. I love the water gardens, but the only thing I brought home was 2 of the first year flat leaf parsley they had tucked onto a herb shelf...
Sun, my agave originally came from Florida when my daughter relocated from Newport Richey area, she chunked them under the new house for a yr, then I spotted them, planted the good ones, and we have new clumps for the last 15? years from those original plants.
I wont go visit California where my dad is til January. Not gonna jump a plane on holidays. It was 50* outside this morning, and I was greatly relieved for the heater to hit 63* inside when I finally got warm enuff to climb out of my blankets. Brrr.

Oxdrift, Canada

Enjoying all the pics from you warmer climate people. That mimosa is spectacular Debra. Good job propagating. Yes Debra I was right on top of the photo contest entries. It is late and I was worried they had pulled it. There are 21 entries so far and 17 of those are mine. LOL. I plan all summer for that.

Good for you, Kieth. I'm glad they still have it going. Good Luck! Ofcourse you have my vote!
No worries, Kitt, I won't send out anything until you want it. :D
Sun, I have a powder puff tree. It's my Bonsai. I had no clue it could grow that big! Mine was just a twig when it came to me in the mail from a swap.
Ju, I am with you, It's cold. BRRR Nice late zinnias. I have a few too. It won't FREEZE until Friday night. I worked all day getting stuffs in to the garage.

Oxdrift, Canada

Today in Oxdrift

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

Keith what a beautiful snow scene! For sure put that in the photo contest.

Ju, pink zinnias hanging in there, tough little flower. Anyone is welcome to come have a sit in my garden anytime, but winter is the best time.

Debra that powder puff only that big because we didn't get a freeze past two winters, tall as my house now.

Kitt, not surprised agave from here, they grow like weeds, always cracks me up to see how expensive they are in garden centers.

My Agave and Aloe garden, some bromeliads too. Nothing else will grow in this spot, no irrigation lots of sun, real sandy.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I had intended to post that pic- they bloomed really late this year.

Thumbnail by kittriana

wow! Love the photo , Kieth, just not the snow for you. Great collection, Sun. love the turtle statue. I collect realistic ones. you have a wonder display, like in a botanical garden closed in sun room here..
Kitt, I never saw one of those bloom before thanks for letting us see those blooms. Inspirational!

Oxdrift, Canada

Loving those succulents Sherri and Kitt

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pretty plants the Cacti and such ,

Cold weather a couple pots in the stack pile Did not remember or think about that they were there , A Meadow rue and a peppermint ,

Fort Worth, TX

The powder puff bush is gorgeous Debra - what temp is it hardy too? I have a bottlebrush bush that I potted so I could protect it from freezes, it never bloomed this year, I think I'm going to have to plant it.

Almost froze here this weekend, I'll be putting dahlia bulbs up for the winter as soon as I get a few minutes.

I think that powder puff tree is hardy at zone 9a . I bet it would grow like crazy if I planted it, but I don't have space for it. I love how the leaves close shut at night. Mine blooms sporadically thru the year. I snip it and water it sparingly and make sure it doesn't get bugs. I'll need to go out an dig up bulbs myself here in a day or so. Poor banana, it is so sad to see it "melt" down after having it in and out for over 4 years. Her two pups are downstairs. Everything soft tissue has melted, but I saw a four o clock not phased inside the front corner and a red honeysuckle blooming by the dog run. weird. Also, the oxalis is not phased by the freezing, but they are low and have lots of leaves around them. They and caladiums are everywhere. *sigh*
Ju, that one on the right which is that? It looks like my columbine that is sprouted everywhere here LOL.

Gypsi, My powder puff is hardy to 32F, suffers some damage, mid to lower 20's take it all the way down, but it rebounds every year, should do fine in TX. My parents have a bottlebrush tree for over 40 years, it might lose some leaves in the cold but really pretty hardy, plant it in full sun. They are also very drought tolerant once established.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra it is a Meadow rue , One of Three . Two of them the same The prettiest has not bloomed or grown in a while , I am about to move it over to a new space , always risky , only hey , it has to be and I have to try so it will grow ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

It hit 32* here about 5am and the dew frosted open spaces til at least 10am. Light frost. Bit the mg, red cypress, everything else is stalled but not bit.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My morning glory dead , gone ,, bit the dust yesterday Some seed pods are hanging there , that is next ,
Got a couple tomatoes today though ,
Did a bunch of stinging nettle cutting . Put a fancy rue under plastic trying to bring it back , Things like that all day .

somebody ,,Got me a years subscription here , Thank you , Thank you , Thank you , whoever you are ?

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

I joined the photo contest Keith. Still digging through photos.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My latest attempt at unstratified daylily starting .
""Big Smile " 1
2 an Amaryllis yes still the same from the beginning of the year ,,

Hope everyone is safe and sound. before and after pics of the freeze.. north fence volunteer tommy toes, got the rest of the maters picked, had about 25 kids tonight..
I have yellow rue, it already bloomed. It hasn't wilted yet. There are still a few things in micro climates blooming, it is crazy. I hate to see summer go..last pic is the heart breaker. It's all cleaned off now. Joe and I couldn't stand it.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Awww Debra, that is a hard photo to look at. At least you have that basement to keep you busy. We had 4 kids last night, one was my grandson. :-) Husband now has lots of candy to munch on.

Ju, happy you're sticking around another year. That nettle all over in FL, ranger at state park was telling me it has all kinds of medical benefits, tea good for aching joints.

Kitt, I hope that cold not heading this way. Warming back up a bit here, kind of early for such cool nights this far south.

Fort Worth, TX

I didn't have any trick or treaters, just feral cats. Put most of peppermint patties in the freezer to keep me out of them

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Amaryllis is buried too deep- like a sago palm they sit lower 1/3 of bulb in ground. As the years go by the roots pull the bulb into the ground.
We had rain last nite, so I took a bucket of potting soil to cover the floating sprouts a wee bit - these are cilantro. The bronze leaf mustard has grown all summer without bolting- very strange- the cold touched the leaves with color.
MGlories, some are finally blooming their hearts away but others have died back, am keeping an eye the seeds but they simply arent curing yet.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2017 11:58 PM

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

In case you are wondering. This is where I've been. Every day from 7:00 -10:00 ish AM and 4:30-6:30 ish PM. Being very selective at this point so no death has occurred yet.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Yesterday I picked up my Geraniums and put them in the basement to overwinter them.I had success last year so I am doing it again

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

sunkissed ,, that is for the tired knees and back from pulling it up ,

Kitt that Amaryllis has been growing like that from seed . I have not messed with it much ,

Keith survival practice in the wilds of the Great White North , brrr

cytf Geraniums after two three years old grow as trees in the far south , you don't see many though

I am in Zone 6B so I have to pick them up.

It's 72 degrees today so I did some cleaning up in the yard and cutting back my rose bush.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith and hunting carefully ,,

cytf 62 degrees here off and on as the rain is
A zinnia still with us
The Gaillardia
A forsythia showing color
seedlings
and garden workfun

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Dogwood
Cup plant
Stinging Nettle
Purple Sorrel

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Why do they call it a cup plant? (I know it's a dumb question but I am dead on my feet, cleaned another pond today)

the leaves curve to form a cup for water to pool in and the birds and critters drink from them. Nice pics, Ju, glad you have been busy. I still have summer phlox blooming purple.. and some glorys blooming downstairs.
Looks like you are in a great spot , Keith.
I used to do geraniums, and they did great but I over watered them eventually one summer and drowned them. I am leaving my red spider and white spider lillie bulbs in with lots of mulch and leaves. we will see. Still need to pop up the last EE and the caladiums. Oxalis is staying in ground ( sorrel) I have three colors, some came back from last winter so I am not digging them. I am in 6B as well. firespike is starting to bloom, and a pepper is ready. Last pic is how the seeds are drying, in bags with a fan blowing on them..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Keith, hope you have heat in that tree stand, makes a pretty snow pic.
Ju, that is a heck of a lot nettle, nice fall colors.
Nice firespike Debra, my red starting blooming in August, my purple is just now starting spikes, it is a winter bloomer, takes the cold much better than the red.

I'll have to go look for my few geranium plants, I hide them in the shade somewhere in the summer, they start to come back in the winter here, but I bet mine drowned this year, we had so much rain.

My dog smelling the firespike flowers yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

I had a g/f in Florida who sent me purple, but it never took. This firespike blooms all winter downstairs. It's one of my fav tropical plants. Cute dog! I am dog sitting this weekend, the three next door. So cold out I am not going out for anything! I can barely move from too much heavy lifting and pulling. bleah.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra it is nice to still have the blooms ,,

sun love the Poodle ..

While it is sunny and mild type of cool outside I will be doing several outdoor chores .
I want to start more plants but it is too late now ,

Oxdrift, Canada

Debra, that "great spot" is my back yard. 40 acres in Oxdrift allows me to live both my widely varied lives without leaving home. With the exception of the moose hunt which is a long drive. All of our firewood for the house and the greenhouse is cut at home too. We will never run out of wood unless we lose it to a forest fire, heaven forbid.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Forest fires, urban renewal. We do spot fires to manage some tracks, but, theres so much pine here.
Thinkin of throwing out some more crimson clover- its the only thing I havent seen sprout. Our wild pink Oxalis is blooming. MG seeds finally maturing, since it rained I haven't wanted out in the sauna that is 86* humid sunshine.

Fort Worth, TX

I'm droughting again, started a soaker hose on the upper garden last night, more to do this weekend great pics everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.