Help with Almond and Persimmon Pest Problem/Disease

fair oaks, CA

Hi guys, I've recently been tasked with caretaking a small property that is heavily landscaped, though neglected. As I don't really know what I'm doing, I have slowly been researching various issues that I see.

There are a couple persimmon trees and an almond tree that look pretty miserable. Can anyone identify what's wrong with them? I was told they were planted about a year ago.

The almond tree has put out plenty of new growth in the last couple months, but the new leaves don't look nice for long.

The persimmon has put out a few new buds, but they shrivel up and fall off before turning into leaves.

They have plenty of water. I was told there is some hardpan in the area they are planted, I don't know if that could be the issue.

Thumbnail by ChannelZ28 Thumbnail by ChannelZ28 Thumbnail by ChannelZ28 Thumbnail by ChannelZ28
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would look into that hardpan issue. They look stressed. Are they newly planted? Is it very hot? Is the soil friable?
Also, you say they get plenty of water but are you sure the water is being absorbed properly in the soil and not running off away from the roots?

Lynnwood, WA

Hello there I agree with Loretta when it comes to the hardpan issue. A quick fix if you have the budget and/or energy, is to create some berms for the young trees to be planted in. you could plant some other plants around the trees, in permaculture we call these fruit tree guilds and there is a great deal of info on line and on youtube. If not, you will need to try to break up the hardpan( if possible) probing around with a garden fork may provide some insight regarding the severity of the compaction. The bud drop suggests a soil issue based on my experience. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.