Tall tonatoes

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have 2 plants in the back patio (concrete cutout). Several years ago I posted over 12 ft plants. This year's plants are over 14 ft (12ft poles and the tops have collapsed and are leaning down) The Golden Jubilee has later offshoots (sucker the plants till the middle of August then give up) that go from 4 to 6 feet from plant. There are still green ones and flowers--picked one 2 days ago with my apple picker.
I plant Heirloom varieties, Pink Brandywine and Golden Jubilee.
All I use is Llama and Pygmy Goat manure and coffee grounds and water daily when it doesn't rain. Base soil is clay (TN).
Just like to share the possibilities. I hope to lay it out in the yard (when it dies) and get all measurements and have neighbor verify numbers.

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry Pictures didn't come through.

Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Up north our tomatoes don't have much chance to get that tall. Do you get enough extra harvest from the vines over 7' high to justify the increased work in supporting and picking them?

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

At the top to the left of the ladder (pic) there are 4 full size Pink Brandywines, 1 that is starting to turn and I can see about 6+ still growing. The Golden Jubilee on the right has 3 turning color and 13 in different stages. The only extra work is what I do normally---tie them up, add gallon of water per plant at night when it doesn't rain for 3 days (been dry down here). Can't tie them anymore (ladder too short) which is why they are bunching at the top like a palm tree. I use a dried grass mulch for weed control. I know ..."Lazy Gardener".

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Just did my clean up in the vegetable garden and pick the last crop of eggplants and a great dry pod of Bush beans.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

My eggplants.

Thumbnail by cytf
Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gust wind the other day pulled out guy rope stake and broke the top extension stake on my tomato pole. Happened while I was on the porch so I was able to hold it till the wind died down. The main stem didn't break so i reset the piece of stake horizontally. There is a 6" green one that I hope to get to ripen. Vagrancies of a gardener.

Thumbnail by bigdaddie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.