too late to sow cabbage in zone 7a?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I just found some "brunswick" cabbage seed in my seed stash that i totally forgot about. I was wondering if it was too late to plant those here in zone 7a? If anything, at least for the immature greens? Thanks!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Too late for seed. Cabbage seed is good for years though so you are set for spring.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ok thanks! :)

Even cool weather vegetables slow down as days get shorter and cooler so days to harvest will be greater than package states. Brunswick is a mid to late cabbage.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i am definitely still learning how to grow that specific variety. Last year i started some seed for it much earlier, and with the mild to almost non existent winter that we had, they carried on in the ground right through to the spring, we did have a few cold shots though, and they just powered right through single digit night time temperatures and a half foot of snow.

Not quite picture perfect (the head was a little looser than i would have liked), but still not bad for a first try. As soon as the spring temperatures started coming back, many of them decided they wanted to bolt, lol, whoops!

Thumbnail by jmc1987

No harm in experimenting considering warm winters. Brunswick is a drumhead and I wonder if it's the best choice for your zone. We used to be able to buy bundles of bare root cabbage starts at rural seed and feeds which transplant well. I've successfully dedicated a small patch for cabbage seed that, when seedlings had four to six leaves, got pulled and transplanted. This saved space while the summer garden still produced. Works with collards too.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In my youth in central Virginia, we transplanted winter cabbage (Late Flat Dutch or Drumheads) in late July. Harvested in late October - Early November and stored for winter use. Work well, but way too much work for me today. Had to dig a hole into the side of hill, pack the cabbages in pinestraw , cover them with dirt and then dig them out when needed. Easier when one has a root cellar.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
No harm in experimenting considering warm winters. Brunswick is a drumhead and I wonder if it's the best choice for your zone.

I do have to admit that these were some free bonus seed from Bakers creek after buying some beet and turnip seed, so i figured "heck, why not?", lol. :)

I will definitely look into other varieties for next year though.

Farmerdill has much experience with fall cabbage starts planted in July in Virginia for fall harvest. That should settle the question of starting seed end of September. We're talking 120 days or more for fall planted drumheads? After trying various cabbages small, early cabbages are least problematic for my situation. Like Dill, big fat fall cabbage is probably the best but at forty nine cents a pound way too much work for me.

A root cellar under the house is much handier than straw on the hillside but then comes the rodent issue. Even when you wire them out you've got the annoying sound of attempted breaking and entering going on under your bed all night. Maybe a detached root cellar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.