Fall gardens, 2017

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So who has been getting ready for the fall gardening season? What seeds have you guys been planting?

I myself am planning on:

Turnip "Purple top white globe"
Beet "golden"
Beet "detroit dark red"
Carrot "St. Valery"
Carrot "Cosmic purple"
Kale "Nero Di Toscana" (better known as dinosaur kale)

Things were going great a few weeks ago, here in southern VA until we had a surprise heat wave to move in that is expected to finally be gone by thursday. I have been propping some shade cloths over whatever i can and watering a bit more often and things have been holding on pretty well. All except for the beets. Those darned Yellow Striped Army worms are mowing them down just as fast as i am re seeding and sprouting them back up!

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I might give Carrots a try this fall,,I heard that they overwinter well.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep, as long as you give them a good heavy mulching. The tops will die back, but the roots will keep on living underground.

here are some photos of how things have been doing with mine. I think the army worms have finally gone away for the most part, since im not losing lots of seedlings anymore.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I used to plant a fall garden but not so much anymore. I might spot seed a few greens like collards, kale and mustards. Arugula reseeds. But now I succession plant through spring and early summer with (forgive the redundancy) such success there is no room. The garden is thick with many varieties of tomatoes as well as southern peas (6), lima beans (3), eggplants (4), winter squash, peppers and okra until mid-November frost. Besides those darn army worms the deer start moving in and jumping high fences to get at the produce once cold weather sets in and field plants become scarce. It's not worth the effort to plant a fall garden here.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cauliflower and kale , Turnip Greens , Mustard , possible others ,
Cauliflower and Greens are in and growing ,

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

been doing a bit of re arranging things around (moving perennials), while the weather has been feeling cooler. also got my second handful of turnips.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987

Beautiful turnips hope you've got grand designs on those greens as well.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey all, It seems like I drop in a couple of times per season and then get diverted with other stuff - family, travel, other obligations or interests -- you know how that goes! I hope some regular folks remember me. LOL, I say that every season. But I'm still here!

Today, I have an odd request, for anyone that reads this in the next 2 days. I'm participating in a weekend entrepreneurship conference, where each of us comes up with a business idea (often a website or app), and my project has to do with getting gardeners info they need -- and just the info they need, based on their own particular yard. What was your burning question when you started and looked out at your yard or those packets of seeds: how do I find out...X? Maybe it was about start dates, zones, sun path, rotation, drainage, etc. Any input will be welcome. Thanks! I'll come back and report how it went after the weekend. And, if no one happens to see this in time -- oh, well! I'll still come back and report.

The Goodyear cucumber complete with docking rope. Variety is Sumter, an heirloom airship. :)

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

The carrots and radishes are starting to look pretty decent.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

Getting ready to set out 300 garlic bulbs for next summer. Cold wave is coming .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.