Wanted: Florida Shallots

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm looking for shallots for growing in Florida (i.e.: short-day adapted). Extension service here recommends ‘Louisiana Pearl,’ ‘Bayou Pearl,’ and ‘Wilmington.’ I'm also looking for a small red onion-like shallot or shallot-like onion typical of those grown in SE Asia to try in my Gainesville FL sand.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You never got a response. Did you find shallots for your area?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

I still have never found a "shallot" that is successfully being grown here. I did find some bulbs offered as "shallots" at an Asian grocery nearby. They match descriptions of the "small red onions" grown in SE Asia, which develop small, nearly spherical, intense red bulbs in the extremely short days there (presumably over winter, when short-day onions are grown in the South). I planted a sprouting bulb in a small pot on my pool deck back in the early spring to see if it will bloom and set seed. If it does, I'm hoping to plant the seeds to see if it develops bulbs in this area. If that's what I've got (and all else goes well) I'm hoping to have a "shallot" that can be grown in short-day areas. I've had luck in the past with a number of sweet short-day onion varieties (from Dixondale growers) as well as a sharp short-day onion (Red Creole) that stores much better than the sweet varieties. I'm hoping to be able to add to my collection of bulbing alliums that can be grown here which will store well enough to supply onion flavor year-round.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.