Tomato Pruning

Plymouth, MA

Hi Everyone!
I am a first-time veggie gardener growing six tomato plants (one row of costoluto genovese and one row of Berkeley tie-dye pink) in a raised bed along with other veggies and herbs. As soon as I planted them outside after starting from seed I realized the two rows were too close together (only a little more than a foot apart; spacing in the rows is about 18") but at the time the plants were so spindly and frail looking I didn't want to move them. I also had been pinching out the suckers wen the plants were small but again by the time they went outside they looked so pitiful I decided to leave them alone for a while. Then work got crazy busy for a few weeks and I ignored them besides regular watering and occasionally tying a wayward branch to the stakes and lo and behold they are dense bushy giants, with lots of fruit and blossoms.

So, I assume I should prune them to get some air and light in there, but where do I start? How much to cut off? I'm thinking I should trim off every other blossom-less branch? Any tips or advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by Dulcinea_C Thumbnail by Dulcinea_C Thumbnail by Dulcinea_C
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Tomatoes grow in a stable fashion. 3 leaves, then a fruit cluster, then 3 leaves, & so on. The suckers grow out of the joint of the leaf & stem. Suckers are what you prune.
Also take the leaves off the bottom of the plant up to the first cluster of fruit. This will help keep disease at bay.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Dulcinea, I think you have done well for a first time veggie gardener , Your plants Look very healthy. Keep up the good work. Happy gardening

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.