Plant propagation - the Basics July 2017

Fort Worth, TX

well I saw a Cosmos near the shrubs I put on my corner, wonder how long that seed has been there, haven't planted in years. I figured I'd start a thread.

I think the picture is my garden. On the right, 3 or 4 sweet potato plants in a raised bed.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1448452/

This message was edited Jul 2, 2017 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Found a crepe myrtle I like, wont buy, no room and July heat is settling in fiercely now. Naptime sounds delicious since lunch was at Panda Express.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought that I lost my White Cone flower but it reseeded for me.The area at my back driveway look so beautiful that I had to get a picture.Lily bloomed nicely too.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Nice pics everyone!

Quote from juhur7 :
Nice blooms and not getting anything done ,? familiar here , lol

red Volunteer Hemerocallis

Is the name of your Hemerocallis 'Red Volunteer' or is it a volunteer that's red? Beautiful!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin it is a named Variety , Red Volunteer
False nettle ,
purple sorrel , red leaves
Zinnia trying to grow
Celosia
Feverfew seedlings

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 unknown ,
2 sweet pea
3 yard long beans
4 Daylily
5 tomato ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

well all I'm planting tonight are baby bottles in puppy mouths. It is a long story, and yes my dogs have been fixed for years. Neighbor had a surprise miracle. gonna be a long night I think

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

awwww I wanna help with the puppies. It feels like all I can do is sleep here lately, have not been feeling to well. Love all the gardens everyone has posted, I know how rewarding it is to see some new growth, and surprises. I hope you all have a safe July 4th.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Neighbor children brought a 3 week old kitten to me two days ago , They know we have cats , thought it escaped from here , Mine are all male and Vet worked not capable of little ones ,
However it is with a little old lady type being bottle fed and cared for ,

Two youngest relaxing
and some Daylily , (Hemerocallis

This message was edited Jul 3, 2017 1:26 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

You have the best daylilies Ju. Is there any chance that the "unknown" in the post before could be a thunbergia?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith It does have the leaf that matches some I don't remember planting any , Only that does not mean much in this matter , chuckle , sort of ,
Hyperion and Murky crayon colorated first bloom seedling I am not thrilled with
Then the orange Mandarin Echinacea that has returned Cardinal Flower Red ,
spider petal Daisy ,

Pretty JU. The unknown looks like creeping jenny so if it was in my soil that is sure what it looks like.
Keith I have thunbergia in vine and in bush ( Kings Mantle) if there was anyway I could send it to you I'd be so happy. I know they are both tropicals, and you would need to keep them in during winter.. it is so hard to ship outside of the USA. *sigh*
#1 from cross pollinating white wit yellow 4 o'clock... #2 lily from country side #3 the sign says it all #4 giant lily from Ju, need to move it to fence with other large lily #5 is one of the two male orioles

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Those all look delightful at your place , I have one of those Giant white lillium that only bloomed today , The lillium do not seem to always do well here ,
because of seeds I try or such as , I have to wait while to get what the unknown ones are ,,
Coreopsis re-blooming
Red Gaillardia
Monarda from Debra
Catnip in front of that , some hours of the day a Bee party goes on ,
Zebra Grass returning

Ju, I think I can send you Supreme Pink Monarda seeds, to play with this fall. I also will send you the red Monarda called Marshalls delight. Love your red blanket flower.. here is Helenium which I love very much.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra I don't grow many Heleniums they have some trouble here ,
Around the monarda at the moment , there is a 4 inch early sunflower farther behind that and directly behind that is a 2 ft smooth blue aster A late daylily off to one side
There is also small stargazer and Lilium surpurbem alive near those I think four or five very small odd looking plantlets are Qbedient plants on the other side of them ,
That should look okay when it all fills in ,
I may try a rubeckia Grandiflora in there with them , same bloom period possibly may set each other showy
Fun with the idea !

Seed jar table beginning

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Speaking of seeds.... my dill has been trimmed, removed and an effort at cleaning been attempted. Those in ground I kinda floated and scooped in pockets of dirt. (mud) how in the world do they ever clean dill seeds! I know tons are still left behind. Thousands of tons...they will wait and dry til I return to see if I can seperate from soil. The ones I gathered a month ago and dried were so pretty and dry, still a lot of fluff left in the seeds. Time to go to work now, fireworks have not been heard here yet, too dry

I have never grown dill, so I can't help ya there. Maybe I should of it is so prolific! Fire works have been going on here since last Friday, so sick of it already. :P Just hope we get more rain soon. Ju, you have a good start on seed saving already! I just cut the dried stalks and put them in brown paper bags and write on them, and then sort them out ( while watching tv )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt I don't about the dill either I use to shake the seed heads into a bowl ,

Debra , Those are mostly of seeds that have been asked for in the jars ,
Finally under 100 degrees , I can do few things this evening

Fort Worth, TX

gotta go feed again, a daughter is supposed to take over pups on Wednesday, she and the kids will do better on 3 hour sleep intervals. Now that no fleas though they are sleeping MUCH better.

got a few pics today

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Oxdrift, Canada

Happy 4th of July to all my southern friends.
Keith

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Cute puppies nice flowers

Keith And A Belated Happy Canada Day !!! too you !!!
Echinacea and spring blooming Fleabane still going

Debra not a good pic , however , at least 15 inches across this Giant White lillium is Huge only one that returned this year ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I may find out later however I think my unknown may be a Wild Four O Clock ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

or some kind of salvia? I've only ever seen one leaf shape on 4:00 but salvia have a range. Do the leaves have a scent when touched?

Great pics everybody, I love them all!

Thanks Keith, I'd also like to wish a happy and safe July 4th to everybody south of the border and a happy 150th to Canada and Canadians to the north!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi no scent
Happy Fourth of July all
Hi Robin

I've got a couple of unknowns, the first I picked up tag-less at a greenhouse because I liked the foliage and it's just blooming now. #2 and #3 are volunteers. #2 may be a wild Phlox. I'll try again to get better photos. All help welcome!

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last one looks like the delphinium family the others I don't know , same about all really All look nice though ,

Fort Worth, TX

Robin how large are the blooms on number one. If small - verbena, if half inch wide or larger, a phlox. don't know on number 2. Number 3 looks like larkspur

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Was in the garden putting around today , the weather was nice and I took a few pictures. I also gave my vegetables some Fish Emulsion .#2 lily is a rescue from my neighbor"s yard.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

Hope everyone is safe and sound and ready for some peace and quiet. :D
Love all the blooms and colors. I wish I could have one of those adorable puppies, and WoW on the passion vine. Great colors on your lilys, cytf, really vibrant.
Ju, yes my lillium was 12 to 14 inches around or so..
Hi Kieth! Hope it is finally warming up there.
Robin, wish I did have some answers for you, I agree on the larkspur and phlox, tho.

Yes Gypsi...Verbena and Larkspur! Thanks!

Debra, it's good to hear from you! Thanks for the confirmations. I also wish I had an answer for Ju's unknown, I'm waiting for a bloom.

I'm also glad Gypsi doesn't have time to post adorable puppy pics...I can't afford to pine (I have my hands full with 4 felines).

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am a little delayed in getting things done , mind is spacey ,
Like yesterday . Had lots of fun and got nothing done ,
" If your feet are singing the Blues" Try getting into a more comfortable pair of shoes " ( my mind then thinks Burma Shave ) lol ridiculous---- like who ? has to shave their feet ???
My mind seems to be singing poetry eeek ,
some more Daylily ,

Oxdrift, Canada

Yes Debra, it is flipping hot up here right now
Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mostly dodging mosquitoes and beginning to collect seeds here ,

Keith , First photo is for you , C Outside , F , for us inside ,
Warm enough ??? Humidity is about 87 %

Last three are poppy seeds

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some more from today
Pear tomatoes trying
Gailardia
Catnip
Coreopsis
feverfew

That's a real pretty Gaillardia Ju, did you grow the beauty from seed? Here's my one and only G. 'Mesa Peach'.
#3 Gaura 'Passionate Rainbow'
#4 Veronica 'Maid in America'
#5 Erigeron (Robin's Plantain)

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Real nice Robin
The only Gaillardia I have purchased ,(named , but does not come true from seed
Never have I ever of many times trying gotten a Red Gailardia to grow from seed
seeds are always Bi or tri color .

Robin My Erigeron Fleabane looks like that Still blooming too

Here is a small Early Sunflower (perennial ) Behind the Red Monarda ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Puppy pictures. I have to change their bedding at every feeding, their formula intake doubled in 24 hours, I believe they are doing quite well. They will be big, already started advertising for homes on Facebook, with mix breeds, lots of teasing photos, watch your puppy grow, are needed. None have died since I pulled 4, the mama could support the other 2. and they have been bathed for fleas, I wormed her.

the larger head shots are yesterday pics, I have yet to master one handed puppy photography. the little black one really is the smallest but that is a more distant shot from today, she's not that small. The 2 on white are with the mama.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Awwwwwww

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.