Sweet pepper (Capsicum) problem.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

My pepper plants seem to be growing well but the stems are discoloured black at the node where the flowers emerge and, though the flower grows, it dies and drops before the fruit forms.
My RHS Gardening Encyclopedia says nothing about this. Does anyone here know what it is and if there is a cure or prevention for future years?

Thumbnail by cinemike Thumbnail by cinemike
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What are you growing them in. Looks like soil is to shallow. Maybe short of nutrients.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Now that you mention this, I noticed just yesterday the same black notches in my pepper plants. But, my plants are fully loaded, so I just chalked it up to how the plants grow.

I'd be worried if the blooms kept dropping, though. That could be a poor/no pollination problem.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

as far as the black stem nodes, that can just be a matter of what variety that is. Only reason to worry is if there would be any of the plant turning yellow, or if you see cankers / soft spots going on too.

as far as the bud drop....peppers can be one darn picky plant when it comes to fruit set, here is a page that goes over some of the causes

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Pepper-Plant-Blossom-Drop

Thanks, looks as if it is ok.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yep. Mine are doing just fine! It took them awhile to get cranking, but, now that the hot weather has stabilized, they've taken off!

Wishing you much success with your peppers!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

HI GymGirl ,what do you feed your peppers since they are producing so much.

That looks like the 'Etna' variety with up-pointing fruits. Is it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.