Home made rooting compound

Oxdrift, Canada

Hey guys. For years I have had great success rooting cuttings with Stim root #1 but am having great difficulty finding any this year. I do a lot of propagating with cuttings and don't want to waste a lot of valuable cutting stock with experiments that don't work. I spent a bit of time on Google and got some suggestions like dipping in honey, cinnamon,or even your own saliva. Does anyone have any surefire tried and tested recipes. I prefer a dip and plant method to soaking until rooted and then planting. With the Stim root I dip and plant into a loose moist potting mix and leave under a humidome for exactly 2 weeks and get near 100% success.
Thanks, Keith

Fort Worth, TX

I think the honey would be worth a try. I use cinnamon (cassia, regular grocery store type) on aloe vera when rooting, but I dip in cinnamon and throw it in a nice dry drawer for a week, then put in dirt.

Rainwater, I think most rooting compounds have B vitamins in them, certainly one of my super ones smells like B12. you might grind up a B complex and try it.

Sumterville, FL(Zone 9a)

you can make a very good rooting hormone from willow species (Salix)

Thumbnail by 12native34 Thumbnail by 12native34

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.