Gloriosa Lily Seeds

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am posting this request on several forums because I'm not sure which one I should post on nor am I sure which forums are active.
I harvested Gloriosa Lily Seeds this summer. I'm not sure how to start them from seed and haven't been able to find much information on this.
So, do you plant the fleshy berries?
Do you wait for the berries to dry out, then plant them?
Do you get seeds out of the berries and plant them?

Please respond if you have any information or experience growing these plants from seeds.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I looked around a bit, didnt know if anyone answered you, birder. I do not grow these, but lookedsince You made me curious. Seeds can sprout- up to a month after hitting the ground in appropriate earth, with a tropical style humidity, and apparently forcing techniques of 3-4 months of stable 70* temps and then a cooling down period. Hope that is a beginning! Too much for me to try!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, too much for me to try also. But thank you very much for answering the question and doing the research.
I'll just buy the tubers! I dig them up out of the pots and they come have been coming back (ones I have missed in the pass) that are in the ground right next to the south facing brick wall and the west facing brick wall. Go figure! I'm going to leave these purposely in the ground this year and see what happens. Although, I personally think this year is going to be a colder than normal for around here. We have had pretty cold weather since Nov. 1.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Apparently they require that cold, if Jackson gets snow instead of ice, but the ice shouldn't be an issue unless you get up and down spells.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.