Plant Propagation - the Basics, February 2017

Fort Worth, TX

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1437212/

Brigid bless this forum and help our seeds to sprout. (I am way too tired to be on the computer, but before groundhogs, and before Candlemas, there was Imbolc and the patron Goddess Brigid. ) and on that note, February has been opened and 1099s have been mailed. and new truck signs have been ordered. oh yeah. tired.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2017 9:18 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still at the process and info Gypsi .. lol , I might catch up ,,,maybe ,, ?

Amarylis by Morning oh that 's Amarillo lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

they can start from seed? I thought just bulbs... cool

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Crinums mostly dont seed, but those that do are worse than bermuda grass, chuckl, better stand back! I on the other hand have been daydreaming about tomato seeds, sigh. I did do some whacking at beds while I was home. Lost all my Rosemary's so, they will be dug and a bed cleared and prob reshaped as soon as possible. I recieved about 7 more seed catalogs - my son in law asked me if they were sending me 2 of each. Told him no, but veggies tend to look alike anyway...
We are having the hot and cold taps played with at the house Ju- plus it rained 4 of the 5 days I was there. The arthritis lets me know a day early...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi , you can start them in water .

Kitt Grandma's little toe , her corn starts feeling , it rains ,, he ,he ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Found this in google:

Apple Cider Vinegar as Rooting Hormone Propagating plants by “starting” root cuttings is a simple way to add to your indoor or outdoor plant collection with little expense. Dipping the stems in rooting hormones get cuttings off to a healthy start and increases the chance of success.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Vinegar For Garden Use: Making Homemade Vinegar Rooting Hormone https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/vinegar-rooting-hormone.htm

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I always like the info Jen ,
Started some rue today .

1 Aster getting it's first leaf Sky Blue
2 Pearl Yarrow ,,, Kind of stringy
3 A stringy false Nettle
4 Mingles in the playroom ,, Having a seat looking over and administrating

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Never buy vigoro organic potting mix to start seeds in. Do i water with peroxide or vinegar Robin? Debra? Probably peroxide. My normal organic potting mix from the feed store was out of stock and now I am out of seeds.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Gyps, If you can water with rainwater, that would be ideal. Otherwise use peroxide in your tap water. I'm thinking one to two tablespoons per gallon, hopefully Jen or Debra will correct me on that if that's not the formula.

I'm off to research apple cider vinegar Jen, thanks for the tip!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You can see mushroom spores in the little aster soil above , Some other things
Once a week I use Listerine , it's doing okay ,
About a coke cap in a quart of water or so ,,
It won't root cuttings but it does not hurt them either , Keeps the mold off ,, It kills a few plant pathogens also ,,
I use that after it saved a few of my Echinacea ,

Fort Worth, TX

I dumped full strength 2% peroxide on the wilted tomato seedling. Have been watering them with rain water though. I think it is the dirt. Need to order more seeds in case these don't do well, all tomatoes, all kinds. Cherokee purple, burgess crackproof, early girl, Juliette, Amish Gold (which did super well last year. ) I have them on a heat mat so they dry out a bit quick, not sure if the cherokee is dying of the dry out before watering or the warm temp dry soil gets to on the heat map.

Gypsi, do you also cover your seeds with a humidity dome?

Fort Worth, TX

No, but they are in greenhouse

I cover mine with a humidity dome to keep the moisture in until germination then I take it off. I find it easier and healthier to keep the humidity at the same level as when sowed, I don't have to wet them too much and I don't worry about them drying out. You can also cover yours with plastic wrap.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/1020-trays-plus-humidity-domes-10-pack/seed-starting

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I won't start any tomatoes until later ,March maybe .. Tiny tims and several .
I have see about my garden for larger , Soil out their is worn from decades of growing vegetables ,
Time for Legumes for a while

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some evergreen erigeron , Never really noticed about fleabane being an evergreen here , a green campanula , about a one inch perennial sunflower (early species) was growing frozen ,, A few do that ,,
Cold 28 degrees out but above 18 degrees will do , Could do without the wind though

Same here, I'll start Tomatoes in March. Ju you can recharge your soil with some soil conditioner and/or compost and give it a year off if you can.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin I was thinking Black cow , Flowers like Alfalfa and vetch .. Make a few butterflies happy while I am at it , alfalfa I should of done in the fall past ,
Three or four larger Tomato plants in new ground , Tiny Tims in pot ,, Going to the Hardware garden center shortly to see what I will get .. I might look it over tomorrow while it is up in the 40's if it happens , Cold out there today ,

Fort Worth, TX

well my limp little cherokee purple is standing up this morning. I guess the reason I don't usually get damping off is that I allow the evaporation. I could cover individual pots that haven't come up yet maybe. My droopy tomato leaning on the horizontal plant marker. It is perky this morning despite having 2% full strength peroxide dumped on its roots yesterday. (no new pic) Planted aquarium with angelfish and live plants, Young hens (lucked out, 6 of the 12 were hens), what happens when you dump tires and used motor oil in dry texas grassland and some fool lights a burning barrel nearby. (this is a block from my house, and I think code enforcement will be looking around out here soon), pond we cleaned and overhauled a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are some great photo shots Gypsi
That is a really nice pond ,,
Guess the neighbor was not warm enough ,,?

Great looking pond Gypsi, I especially love the bridges!!! Hens and seedlings look good. That is one fool neighbor though. Cough, cough...hack.

Fort Worth, TX

we don't know who started the fire in the 55 gallon drum, he runs a gravel trucking company, could have been one of his employees but we are pretty sure he's getting some tickets. He is lucky someone called the fire in or he wouldn't have a house and probably a couple more would have gone, lot of wind.

Thank you on the pond. I didn't build it but it sure took a long time to clean up and bring the stone back up. she has a leaf net over it in the picture to keep the oak leaves out when they fall

This message was edited Feb 4, 2017 6:31 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is really strong peroxide Gypsi. What do you buy it for?

Do you normally start your tomatoes like that Gypsi? My sister puts a dome over hers even tho she starts them in the greenhouse. Also, I doubt that hers are as dry as yours. I mean your Texas humidity. Or lack of it I mean.

Oxdrift, Canada

Loved the pics Gypsi, especially the pond project. Must be gratifying work

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Burn bans in effect still? Ours were lifted, but wonder at that being intentional...wish I had started those tomatoes in Jan...

Fort Worth, TX

Actually 3% brown bottle, for first aid and destinking dog shampoo. Someone just fired a gun outside, country direction. Snake?

Burn ban not in place but dumping oil and storing old tires and brushpiles in city limits may get a ticket. Burning trash should.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I started my tomatoes and peppers in January and they are doing very well.Some of my other peppers are also coming up slowly,and I am still waiting for eggplants to sprout.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am at the ready to plant Beets outside ,, 3 weeks a couple .. why not ? lol
and the season begins ....he , he ..
cytf ,,, cuties ,,,

Oxdrift, Canada

Nice healthy peppers and tomatoes Cytf

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you juhur7 and oxidriftgardener. I am keeping as busy as a Bee because my Ground Hog says early Spring. Lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a couple starting Surprises me how sleepy I feel after feeling comfortable outside
Say oh yes , to your Groundhog , Have a radishes going for the critter ,? lol
1 onions ,, the season begins Need to press these back in the ground
2 covers over beet seeds , cat and vole protection ,,
3 Strawberry starting up
4 Mum seedling

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Here's my response to the groundhog comment Cytf. Haha

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

ROTFL , ROTFL , ROTFL Keith

Apparently, the rodent is just as accurate as the meteorologists, lol. The groundhog I was watching said there would be 6 more weeks of winter.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Pends on where I am, but...weather has turned more wishfully than sincere. I expect Feb weather to puff, blow, stall, and just flat out drag...when is Easter this year? I really think it will be the true tell... Ju, its definitely beet planting time in Indiana, hopefully enough rain in time...

Fort Worth, TX

is it beet planting time in Texas?
I don't see a freeze in the next 10 days or any rain

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Beets would go in ground with collards,mustards and turnips in Texas...sometime back in the fall. Root crops are hard to do in Texas - wire worms, millipedes, mole crickets...

That's good to know about root crops in TX, seeing that's where I'm looking to retire.

Fort Worth, TX

I've noticed. I don't plant potatoes anymore. I have planted beets several times and had a leaf or 2. I do ok with onions but carrots are pretty rough. Going to run some soil tests and considering putting things back in the raised bed on the back lot, but I am going to have to set up proper drip and soaker hose irrigation. I am not sure it is worth it. May order a nice rowcover and put zucchini and yellow squash in that bed totally tucked in. I like a little squash and the borers own the front garden

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

For every plant theres a beneficial- but a host of pests depending on it as well. Hard ground that swells and shrinks and weather that has never been mellow, that's Texas. Doesnt help with the earth shrinking and tilting til the plants that once grew well do not survive at all. Plants like people have different needs of light saturation as well as the usual cornucopia of soils and moistures. Aaaargh, nuff said.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.