Snake help please

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Please help to identify this snake. Thank you

Thumbnail by bugiha
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like a corn snake to me..... we have them here in Orlando. They eat lizards, small rodents, frogs, bugs, and other garden pests. Look up corn snake and see if it matches your pic. Some people (not me!) keep them as pets in large aqauriums

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

It does look like a corn snake. They are non venomous and totally harmless. Please do not harm it.

Sylvain.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Such a good, beneficial snake to have. They are welcome in my garden.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

As a pet snake owner, a 4-foot ball python named Lucy, I am always afraid people will kill those beneficial snakes they encounter outside. Whether you know if the snake if venomous or non venomous, a good rule of thumb is let them be.

Venomous snakes are often classified in the viper family and are quite aggressive. Non-venomous snakes are rarely aggressive, but will fight for their life if they are threatened or harassed. I have snakes visiting my garden. Never met a snake here I didn't like. I go my way and let them go theirs.

Sylvain.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Sylvain.....Thanks for adding additional depth to this conversation. We only have several venomous snakes in Florida, 3 are in the "rattlesnake" family. (and then copperheads, coral snake and cottonmouth) Being in a tropical region, snakes are a very important part of our environmental balance. They may give people creeps, but are really SO very important! :)

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you so very much for all your help.
I am just simply a bit afraid of snakes- but would not harm them.( coming from a part of the world, where we had no poisonous snakes- and even non poisonous was a rarity to see)

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

There is a Facebook page called ‘what kind of snake is this florida’ you may want to check out. They are very pro snake and knowledgeable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.