Hawk identification; please help!

Mount Joy, PA

First, I want to apologize for the poor photo quality. Every time I see this beauty, it catches me off guard and I've yet to get a good, clear photo. The first picture I got was from a kitchen window, it was sitting in my neighbor's tree. In the following three, it was across the street in a walnut tree that's approximately 50 feet tall; this raptor is quite sizable. I assume it's a hawk of some sort, but I can't seem to find one with this color pattern. I thought it may be a juvenile, but it's so large that I don't think that could be the case. I'm lost at this point...any help is greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by Reilene Thumbnail by Reilene Thumbnail by Reilene Thumbnail by Reilene
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks like a Red-shouldered Hawk to me. But tricky with these pics!

Resin

Mount Joy, PA

Thanks for your input, and I know the pictures are horrible....I have cameras waiting for the next sighting. We have a ton of red tailed hawks in this area, (I see them daily next the the highway.) and while I was trying to research the raptor that I spotted, I read that red shouldered hawks are smaller than red tailed hawks. The one I'm trying to identify is MUCH larger than a red tailed hawk, however the color pattern does match pretty well. Thank you for your reply, Resin....hopefully I can get a better picture sometime soon!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Red-shouldered Hawks are smaller than Red-tailed, but they are often also more tolerant of people, so easier to see close-up - and that makes them look bigger. The same way that a crow close-up in your garden looks much larger than the same crow out in a large field ;-)

Resin

Wells, ME

We had a hawk nesting in our woods that I think this was a red shouldered hawk. This is an older photo, not recent.

Thumbnail by jeswain60

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.