Snooty Mansion Tree in a Box ID

East Bridgewater, MA

I took these pics last spring and I'm only now getting around to looking at them. This one was taken at the castle Hill mansion in Ipswich Mass. It's one of those trees in a pot things that people of the Gilded Age loved so much. I have no memory of anything specific, all I have are this pics. :)'

Thanks!

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would guess a fruit tree of some sort, but I'm not from the Gilded Age...

Orangeries were popular way before then, going back to at least the Renaissance and probably to many of the ancient civilizations who practiced horticulture. Anyone who has a greenhouse or a cold-frame does the same thing, just at a different scale.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Bay Laurel Laurus nobilis; not a very healthy specimen. They'll need to bring it inside for winter, of course.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

So this is where bay leaves comes from? Interesting.

I also never knew the leaves can cut your intestines if eaten, even if cooked! Gotta remove them from the pasta sauce for that reason along I guess.

Thanks!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, to where bay leaves come from. Maybe that's why they have the tree there.

Dubious about the cutting intestines open, never heard that one before! Sounds unlikely to me.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.