Cucumber results 2016

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I've reported in the Tomatoes & Peppers forum on my results with those veggies, but since there doesn't seem to be a Cucumber forum, I thought I might relate my experiences with those this year.
     My favorite is Suyo Long. Well over a foot long and curly (less so if trellised), it has a good taste and fewer seeds than the others I grew. It does have a fairly thick ribbed skin that you may want to peel off before slicing.
     Japanese Climbing Cucumber lives up to its name. It climbed up my 6foot strings and then continued horizontally on the support for another foot or two. It did have a good yield of firm cukes averaging a foot long.
     Diva cucumbers were nice, but just an average yield. I harvested them at about 8-9" long.
     I can't vouch for the reputed properties of Burpless, since I haven't yet met a cuke that made me burp, but it had lots of seeds, so I think I will try another variety like BeitAlpha or Sweet Success next year.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Suyo is a favorite here as well. I'm also fond of Boston pickling. I tried the heirloom, Sumpter, this year. Picture perfect pickling type but not very productive. That might have been because it was grown in a raised stone planter in Hotlanta and not in the N. GA mountains where I mostly garden.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ive always liked a variety called Muncher

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Muncher seems to have lots of suppliers and good reviews. One review says it was developed by Hazera but I didn't find a mention on their site. Pinetree says it is a BeitAlpha type so I'll try this one next year. Thanks jmc1987!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

to me this seems to be one of the varieties that is very reluctant to produce bitter tasting cukes.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2016 10:59 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am a huge fan of Muncher cucumbers. Down here in Texas, they produce well and taste great. I usually don't get any bitter cucumbers and they are fairly burpless. I also like growing lemon cucumbers for fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.