Too Late for Cuttings from Coral Honeysuckle?

Arlington, MA

I've been planning to take cuttings from a successful Lonicera sempervirens, but put it off till now. Too late? We have been near frost once so far this fall, in zone 6b.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'd say it's too late unless you plan to over-winter it inside. If it were me, I'd wait until next spring. Others can give their opinion.

Arlington, MA

Thank you birder17!

....it can be done in spring?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I would think you could grow it easily in the spring.
Read about how to do this:
http://www.gardenguides.com/100250-propagate-coral-honeysuckle.html
or somewhere else on the internet.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have two suggestions:
1- Try cuttings now, what have you got to lose? If it does not work you can do it again in the spring. I have had success with other plants with late cuttings by putting them in their pots under a outdoor cold frame all winter. Now you are in a much colder climate but maybe you have a window in the garage or something? I had best success when I sprayed them once with antifungal when I put them in the pot. I kept them quite dry over the winter, maybe watered once or twice only. You could also just try on the kitchen windowsill, again, what have you got to lose?
2- Do layering now, this is even easier, and might give you some roots by the spring! All you need to do is use a knife to nick the branch at a node, scoop a few inches of soil up, lay the branch through it, heap up the soil on top, and maybe a shovelfull of mulch, maybe a rock to keep it from pulling out. That's it!

Arlington, MA

Thank you Pistil!

Now you mention it, I've heard of that layering maneuver. I could certainly do that....and it sounds easier than using, say, the enclosed porch (I forget to check out there when it gets really cold, but managed to overwinter a couple of things...).

Fort Worth, TX

I get my best results on coral honeysuckle with root cuttings. I'd go with the layering.

Arlington, MA

Gypsi, if you are still following this thread: how & when do you do root cuttings?

I am very eager to propogate the lonicera now, because it has to come down or actually be moved so we can paint the house. (Paint the house--who cares??)

Fort Worth, TX

Dig near a large plant, or follow vines that touch ground and root. Try to get some roots and maybe 4 inches of vine. I got 4 or 5 from a large plant, 2 took and are doing well. I put them in potting soil in a pot in shade and keep moist, for about a year, before I put in ground

Arlington, MA

Thank you! I will try that.

My first one has gotten very tall and bloom-y. It looks like a slide from this Doug Tallamy presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UonRPIea48Y. When I saw that slide I made a noise like you might if you saw someone you knew in a news report--then I felt just a little silly. No one in the family noticed.

Fort Worth, TX

good luck. I am in Texas and have a small greenhouse so I have a bit more luxury in the cutting rooting department. Most of the year anyway, greenhouse froze last december.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.