Tule tree

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've run across a bunch of 'world's biggest tree' claims over the years.
Since I grew up in California, I was well aware of Sequoiadendron giganteum and sempervirens. And also that monstrously big ficus in Santa Barbara. My wife & I are travelling in Oaxaca, Mexico this week and came across this stud of a tree, the Tule Tree. Said to be 2000 years old. Taxodium mucronatum. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few shots of it. Couldn't get the whole tree, since it's surrounded by a courtyard (so they can collect an entrance fee, of course!). Here are piecemeal shots. And I have no idea what language that last sign is in - maybe Zapotec?

edited to correct spelling.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2016 10:00 AM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2016 3:14 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - probably - but with a poor translation. Should likely read:

"Don't pluck WITH the tree"

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Yep, that's a big one.
I like the translation, too.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Amazing! Fun to see it, thanks!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Very cool tree. I think if I had one of these, I'd try to string a garland around it too. I wonder how large the circumference is.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are the stats from that famed botanical authority Wikipedia:

"In 2005, its trunk had a circumference of 42.0 m (137.8 ft), equating to a diameter of 14.05 m (46.1 ft),[2] a slight increase from a measurement of 11.42 m (37.5 ft) m in 1982.[3] However, the trunk is heavily buttressed, giving a higher diameter reading than the true cross-sectional of the trunk represents; when this is taken into account, the diameter of the 'smoothed out' trunk is 9.38 m (30.8 ft).[2] This is still slightly larger than the next most stout tree known, a Giant Sequoia with a 8.98 m (29.5 ft) diameter.[4]"

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

That is one stout tree!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is one amazing tree!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.