Aborted dragon fruit flower and columnar cactus fruit

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Returned from out of town trip to see a dried-up flower hanging from one of my dragon fruit cactus. At that point I hoped a fruit might develop - as you can see from today's pic, that didn't happen. But, we are keeping close watch now in case we get another bloom - I have my handy paint brush ready, lol. Last time both plants created a fruit out of a total of 3 blooms, so I'm hopeful.

In the meantime, I was pleasantly surprised today to see my first potential flower/fruit on my columnar cactus!

Does the columnar cactus act like the dragon fruit? Are they self-fertile (I only have one columnar cactus, so can't hand-pollinate)? TIA,
JoJo

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

UPDATE on columnar cactus: had a good hard rain last night - could this be a result of all that extra water (and will go away when it dries out?) or is this fruit in the process of aborting? Is there anything I can do for it at this point? Anything different I should do next time it tries to make a fruit?

TIA,
JoJo

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

JoJo, did the cactus produce any fruit? I would love to see fruit on mine, but so far no such luck.
Barb

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's the sun and heat that cause those blooms to abort. The cooler temps coming should allow the full process to happen. This happens on my Cereus all the time.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Barbie, no fruit 😢

Zenomorf, that is good news - we'll renew our close watch for this system...although it doesn't get very cool here in Fl, lol.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

What counts is the fact that it gets cooler instead of hotter during and after fertilization. Keep us updated.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I isn't know that Xenomorf. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.