Oak for ID - Tennessee

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

An oak posted on another forum for ID, I'm stuck with it. Anyone else any thoughts, please?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328331
(replies by 'Nutcracker' are mine)

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Your online friend is entirely too frugal with images!

I would want to not only see tops/bottoms of several leaves (with some kind of scale, though maybe those are 6" deck boards under the latest image), but also a branch with leaves clustered on it, closeups of buds, and maybe an historical image of the tree before it was dismembered (if he's got one).

Does he know if it ever has any appreciable fall color? What sort of soils is it growing on (texture, pH range, moisture levels)? Does he know the general plant communities of the area, and the oak species composition thereof? Sometimes, proxy data can point in a good direction.

With no more information than has been given, you are about as close to an answer as might be expected. Both those species (but also quite a few more in the Red Oak group) will be found in the Nashville region, and they likely can all cross with each other.

Thanks! I've forwarded your response :-)

Resin

Christiana, TN(Zone 7a)

Northern Red? Q. rubra?

Quote from quercusnut :
Northern Red? Q. rubra?

Doesn't have the pubescence in the vein axils ;-)

Resin

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

What i think is northern red, old pic. Pa. There are other red oaks in Tn- east Tn or west Tn?

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks more like a Southern Red oak in form, tho some of those leaves in the higher scan show a Turkey oak shape- deep lobes.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2016 9:19 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks more like a Southern Red oak in form

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

? Odd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.