2016 Summer/fall Gardens

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thought it would be nice to have new thread, as old one started in May.
Most harvesting is beginning here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Bernie!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks, now in regard to that watermelon question of yours, yep, its ripe, its a variety called Missouri Yellow. the taste is quite different than a red melon, it tastes like its had some honey mixed in with it.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks interesting!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice melon, JMC! My cantaloupes are sooo juicy & sweet. Ambrosia.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Janet,
How did you grow your Ambrosia melons? I've heard a lot about them. Even seen some growing on a trellis.

Details, please.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Today's harvest included 2 cucumbers I let go for seeds.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

how do those white bell peppers taste compared to the typical green / red / yellow? ive never tried those before but have been thinking about it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They're actually yellow, a very pale yellow, and they don't have a lot of flavor. They are called Yellow Belle bell peppers and they are prolific, but I don't like them. I thought we grew this variety last year and the peppers looked totally different, more like the ones you see in the grocery store. This is last year's yellow bells. I'm pretty sure I used the same seeds.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

As for the cantaloupe, I ordered the seeds from a gal on Etsy or Ebay. I have a row of trellis & planted a couple of seeds together, 4 groups spaced about 3 feet from one another. When they sprouted, I helped them up the trellis & they took over from there! I did make the mistake of "saving" some plants that sprouted from compost. They turned out to be what I think is a parent from a hybrid. They made lousy little melons that look like baby honeydew! Their leaves were different too. Moral of the story: don't save compost sproutings unless all you grow are heirloom. I've used organic fertilizer & haven't sprayed but should use some soapy spray because little buggies like the leaves. I've blasted them with water a few times. I've had drip irrigation going every 2 days since we haven't gotten rain in months & it's so hot. The Ambrosias are full slip, meaning they are ripe & ready when you find them on the ground one day! I've only had one get a boo boo from falling. The rest have been fine. They don't keep long. I usually put them on the counter a day or 2, they turn completey yellow & we cut the up & refrigerate. Then we eat them. The End! Any questions?
Pictures are from last year.

Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Those look yummy! I'd like to see a full pic of the cantaloupe tunnel.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I hope someone can help me . Recently I have noticed that in the mornings my pole beans on the trellises are being bitten by something . I had a stray rabbit but I bought an electronic device to deter him away,and I blocked up by bottom of my fence with bricks. I always have squirrels for years and this never happened before .What do you think it can be ?

I hope someone can help me . Recently I have noticed that in the mornings my pole beans on the trellises are being bitten by something . I had a stray rabbit but I bought an electronic device to deter him away,and I blocked up by bottom of my fence with bricks. I always have squirrels for years and this never happened before .What do you think it can be ?

Sorry double post

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you have a picture?

Yes here are a few

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you have possums? That might be the culprit.

Yes a few years ago I saw one near my bird feeders and I was thinking the same thing ,but my hubby was doubting me . Thanks a lot.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Even here in the city, we have possums in the older neighborhood where I live. I don't mind them because they take care of bugs, but I don't like them munching on my garden goodies.

I usually will see their stool on the lawn because it looks similar to the dogs stool, but we did not see any.I did some research and that was the comparison.Recently our island is trying hard to go Green and it seems as though we are getting there because last year someone found a Beaver ran over by a vehicle, and the Enviromentalist was surprised because they were not around here for many years.So that has caused us to think that the habitat is conducive to them now and possums are enjoying too.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

still getting lots of those little cherry tomatoes rolling in, as well as the ground cherries, although it would appear that that ground cherry plant is starting to go downhill fast, it must be close to spending itself out for the year or something is all that i can think

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My garden is pretty much toast, so I've turned to seed saving for next spring. I've started fermenting cucumber seeds and cherry tomato seeds. The cucumber seeds will be ready to rinse and dry tomorrow. The tomato seeds will be ready next week sometime. They take a little bit longer.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from stephanietx :
My garden is pretty much toast

yeah these relentless days of heat is starting to torch my garden a little bit too, everything looks so sad during the day and perks back up after the sun is off of them in the evening. making sure they are watered pretty decent but some stuff getting crisped up anyways, lol.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I've never fermented cuke seeds. I didn't know they needed to be. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You really just soak them in water for 3-4 days.

They don't sprout? I just rinse them off and dry them on a paper plate.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

soaking them removes that gel coating thats around them, so they wouldnt have enough time to absorb in the amount required to break seed dormancy....at least i think thats how it goes.

I know that's true with tomatoes I've never heard about fermenting any other types of seeds. But if it works there's no reason to change it. I've never fermented any of my pepper seeds. I think the different methods are interesting, not right or wrong.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I've never fermented my seed either. I did recently read an article in a magazine about fermenting seed. Looks like a lot of extra trouble to me. I don't save cucumber seed. Actually about the only vegetable seeds that I save are tomatoes, a few odd peppers, pumpkins & some winter squash. I just place the tomatoes & pepper seeds on a paper towel to dry, then I store them in an envelope for the following year. Sometimes, I just leave the tiny seed on the paper towel when I place it in the envelope. As for the pumpkin & winter squash, I usually wash them to get the pulp off and then again, onto the paper towel.

I just yesterday pulled up my cucumber plants - they had huge cucumbers on them, but I'm sure they were bitter with the HEAT & off & on dry. As for the tomatoes, I've just canned a bushel and a half - and gave away another half bushel. I canned salsa and I canned tomatoes. They should be pretty tasty when winter comes. I have one zucchini plant that remains. My tromboncia (sp) squash have done better this year just crawling on the ground instead on the trellis (last year). My eggplant are blooming - no harvest there, yet. I expect the peppers & okra will still be producing at frost - as always. The tomatoes will play out here before too long. I only have a couple late tomatoes (shucks) - wish I had more.

It will cool off one of these days.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i admit that i have only fermented tomato seed once, lol. i usually just spread them out on a paper towel and gently rub the gel coating off by pulling it along the surface of the paper towel.

What do you guys think about planting carrot seed right now while its still so stinkin hot? according to the first frost guide, my frost risk starts on Oct. 16th. And i have one of those rainbow carrot mix, so i took the maturity date from the latest to mature variety of carrot thats in the mix (75 days) and am going by that. But with it being so crazy hot would that just be asking for failed germination, or premature bolting before it even has the chance to get cold. Its also advised that i start cabbage seed now, but no way they can handle it outdoors, thank goodness those can be transplanted so i can grow them indoors until temps are comfy enough for them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's my cucumbers that will be picked for Baby Dills. They Puccini from Stokes. Had them last year & they were great. Big production. They should start in 10 days to 2 weeks from now.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lisa, no they don't sprout. I'm sure if I left them longer, they would sprout. You're basically just soaking off the gelatinous coating. When I looked up how to save cucumber seeds, I found a great video from Rob Bob's Backyard in Australia and followed his directions. All other instructions also mentioned soaking to remove the gel coating. For tomatoes, I follow the instructions I found in a Baker Creek seed catalog a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx

I followed the same directions for tomato seeds fermentation lol it also kills pathogens that could be passed on thru seeds. I guess I never looked at how to save cuke seeds, I just cleaned them and let them dry. I must admit I don't save many cuke seeds bc I grow too mant types I'm sure they cross.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

todays harvest. Got my second watermelon in. A bit smaller than the first one but oh well, lol. Also got my second asian melon called "golden crispy". they are about the size of a grapefruit. Not a bad tasting melon, reminds me a bit of honeydew melon

Thumbnail by jmc1987

Hi jmc1987,those Asian melons are interesting . Do you by chance have seeds to spare , I will like to try them . Will send a SAE . I tried Baby Watermelon but I gave up , they did not come well.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

oh yes i have lots. just one little melon gives you all this seed

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What does the inside of that melon look like and how does it taste?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

as mentioned above, reminds me a bit of honeydew melon, but not quite exactly like it. the color of the fruit inside is a green-ish white.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

got some carrot seed today, and waited to let the rain water it as we were expecting some. Little did i know we would end up getting a total gully washer! Good thing i have some leftover seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.