Cypress vine not blooming

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

My cypress vine has barely bloomed for several years. Just a bloom or 2 here and there. It gets lots of sun and average to more water.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's getting too much fertilizer runoff from the garden. But that would only have been true for the past 2 years. Before that, very little was there and I rarely if ever fertilized that area.

I know it needs something higher than a 5 ft fence to climb but that didn't stop it from blooming the first few years. Do they just peter out after a while?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The only cypress vine I know of is an annual. Is it trumpet vine you are referring to? Can you post a pic?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Yes, that's it. I forget that it's actually coming back from seed. Still, all the conditions seem to be right for blooms other than the possible excess fertilizer.

You can see it growing on the fence behind my black-eyed susans. There';s more on another fence that gets a little less sun. It's not blooming either.

Thumbnail by firstyard
Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

OOps, that was misleading. I did not mean it was trumpet vine. It is the annual cypress vine.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Cypress vine, like morning glories, is sensitive to high nitrogen fertilizer. It could be an issue. That compounded with our abnormally dry weather. They like well drained soil but consistent moisture especially in this heat. I stopped growing them because they were not consistent in covering my entry arbor whereas hyacinth beans are reliable and attract hummers as well.

LOL on the garden maintenance after staging the yard for a house sale. Falls into the category of be careful what you wish for? Good luck.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I think you've got the right idea. I'm going to just pull it all out. It's a lot of work for so few blooms. Since the fence is only 5 ft, the vine reaches out and develops a choke hold on other plants nearby. I am constantly cutting it back and it's such a pain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.