Dividing Rhubarb

Louisville, KY

I have a Rhubarb plant which I would like to have more of. It had nice thick stems earlier this year, but I noticed today that it has a lot of thin stems, so I'm thinking it needs to be divided. When should this be done? Thanks.

Jim

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I struggle just to grow rhubarb. Therefore I would be afraid to divide. From what I have been told over the years, they like rich soil amended with horse or cow manure or compost.

Good Luck!

Louisville, KY

Thank you brendak654,

My thumb is not green Re Rhubarb either. Other varieties I've planted have mostly declined or died out, I treat them to compost or composted cow manure every fall, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

I'll keep searching, that is the best plant I've ever grown, and I'd like to propagate it so I can get enough for a pie at one picking.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

My thought would be to give it a good feeding not only in the fall, but especially in the spring. A good healthy plant can make enough for a pie easily, just plan to leave about a third of the stalks each time. I think the other thing would be to break off the seed head if it form one.

They like more acid than my ground has. The other thing - I don't think rhubarb likse to get really dried out which I think is another one of my problems.

Yes, I love rhubarb - too. I've made 2 or 3 rhubarb/strawberry pies this spring and managed to have enough rhubarb left to make some strawberry/rhubarb jam.

Louisville, KY

I did 't know what the PH preference was, that may be part of my problem, this is limestone country, and everywhere I've checked the soil on the basic side.

I can add some peat moss to the soil-compost-manure mix when I reset them, and see if that will help. Some freshly shredded oak leaves should be pretty acidic too, I can use them in the mulch, or mix some into the soil.

I have plenty of earthworms to work up and distribute the organic matter. I remove the flower heads as soon as I spot them.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

The rhubarb has a strange underground root - it's kind of like your fist. Probably the larger/older the plant the bigger the fist (persay). Unusual.

So much for rhubarb - again good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.