Help a Hydrangea

Monterey, CA

Hi All, I bought three hydrangeas a few weeks ago and planted them. I believe they've had the right amount of sun and water, but something is wrong with them. About two days ago I noticed the petals close up and fall off, and today I saw the leaves curling. I applied an insect treatment yesterday (Bayer 3-in-1) and put slug/snail product down today. Am I missing anything? Can you identify what's happening? I can't see aphids, but that's my top guess. THANK YOU!
Lynn

Thumbnail by lynnbeal
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Since you stated in this thread (not in your other thread) that you just planted these then more than likely they are stressed from being planted. I do not think this is an insect problem but a moisture problem and/or a location problem (no full middle of the day sun).

Check the moisture in the ground because hydrangeas (big leaf at least) love water. Did you loosen the root ball before planting? Did you water it in when you planted? Hydrangeas (big leaf) will wilt in the heat of the day but should perk back up when it cools off if there is adequate moisture in the ground.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A client of mine was given a pot hydrangea and did not take care of it. Worse, she sited it in sun. Its leaves started to curl and turn brown.

The solution is exactly as hcmc stated. I moved it to a shadier location and watered it every two days. It recovered, got more blooms and made it beautifully through last winter.

Reminds me to do out and water mine - 90 degrees today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.