Clematis help

Arlington, TX

I'm trying to grow C. texensis from seed. My plants make a lot of seed and it looks viable. A couple questions...

How long does clematis seed stay viable
What is the best method to grow it from seed

I don't grow seed much and really don't know to proceed.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I have never done C. texensis, but I like to sprout seeds so I looked it up for you.
It looks like this one wants "moist stratification" before sowing.
The easiest way to do this is to take a paper towel, wet it then wring it out so it is only damp. Fold it twice. put the seeds on it and fold it again, then put it in a baggie which is folded over (ziplock might be too tight and keep the air out too much. Then put it in your fridge for two to three months, then sow seeds at room temperature, covering only to the depth of the seed. Many Clematis need light to sprout so don't make it too deep.
It is getting a bit late to do this this year, but I would try some of the seed if you already have some, as some Clematis don't take to storage well for over a year. Plus even if they don't survive this winter due to being too small you will at least know that it worked. Then try some this winter. Alternatively, you could "winter sow" them. I would do this in late November or December in Texas, just sow them in a pot, put outside in a shady spot, and let the winter weather do it for you. After all, they are native there, when it warms up they should sprout. Many people who do "Winter Sowing" are from further north, they often do it in Jan-Feb, probably too late for you as it is already warming up by then in TX.
Your photo might be a hybrid, in which case the offspring might be somewhat different.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CLTE2

Arlington, TX

No my plants are the species, thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot of seed so I'll try both methods. I will also have fresh seed this fall.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Please let us know how it goes-You will trailblaze!

Fort Worth, TX

That is a very interesting clematis. Waiting to see your results. (and if mine give me any seed)

Fort Worth, TX

How goes it Newton?

Arlington, TX

I never started any seeds. I have a lot that are older but think it might be better to gather fresh ones this fall.

Fort Worth, TX

I have to fertilize like crazy or my clematis don't bloom, which reminds me, I need to fertilize.

Arlington, TX

I don't fertilize these vines. Here is one of them as it looks this morning, lots of seed pods.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Fort Worth, TX

well I couldn't keep mine alive down in the dirt so I have a buried pot that is elevated just a bit above ground level, and I seem to have to fertilize. My soil is different and I have to grow root crops (onions, sweet potatoes etc) in raised beds as I sit 2/3 of the way down a big wide hill. Still trying to figure out where and how to put my next wisteria as the last one drowned. I think I am going to elevate it in the bed nearest the house aka the top of my hill. bury its wide pot but about 2 inches above ground for soil surface. then give it a trellis. But yes I have to fertilize and I think the flooding issues may be a part of why.

Fertilized my onions this year on Stephanie's onion site's recommendation, and got the nicest onions I have had in 10 years. Feed store said I had too much nitrogen and that was why tall leaves, feed store was wrong.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.