Let\'s Do Some Veggie Gardening

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I think I am good to go for the veggie garden. I think the cold weather is over for my area. My tomatoes, squash and zucchini seem t have doubled over night.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are just planting here. Sowed peas & radish this week. Set out some onion plants.
Set out cole crops.
Things in high tunnel are doing great. Been eating leaf lettuce & radishes are almost ready.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i also got my tomato, eggplant, basil and pepper starts planted in on wednesday.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted kolahbries in early March, here they are ready for harvest, I think.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from Lily_love :
I planted kolahbries in early March, here they are ready for harvest, I think.

i think so too, they certainly look like the other photos that i see online of that plant.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Depends on variety. Early White Vienna about 1½" diameter is about right.
Winner should be left to get at least 2½" diameter. They never get "woody".
Some others can get huge, such as Superschmeltz.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks to both for sharing info regarding kohlrabi. I bought the seedlings from one of the big box stores. Not sure which variety it's. I will try one soon, and share how it tastes like.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Seeded the late plantings of cabbage & watermelons yesterday. They will go into the field June 10. Also determinate tomatoes. This is new for us. Will be sold for canning.
We will use Florida Weave to trellis them.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Cabbage and watermelon at the same time. That's just weird! Lol

My squash has blooms already. My lettuce have really done a big growth jump. I think they are ready for the salad bowls. I have never had mint that grew so tall. It's more than 2ft.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

im hoping this is my sweet corn starting to sprout up, and not just another piece of crab grass trying to sneak its way into my garden via underground roots, lol!

It also just reminded me that i had BETTER go get some sluggo plus, ive already had a cutworm massacre half of one of my wild asters, the minute they see veggie sprouts popping out they will phone their friends and host a party, lol.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are in "God's country", LOL! Plant in spring, late April & May. Watch it grow all summer. Won't burn up from hot weather here.
Can't put frost prone plants until after May 20. Early cabbage is in the ground. What we seeded the other day is a second crop. Watermelon take around 6 weeks in the greenhouse, so these will go out June 10. Another batch is growing for May 20 plant out in the field.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Coutrygarden, it sounds very interesting gardening in your zone. I'm sure I can learn a lot from your posts. Thank you.
Here goes the mentioned Kohlabries. This is 1/3 of my first crop. I tried a portion of it and I am delighted! I like it very much. My hubby, however, he didn't like it as much.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

looks great.

heh heh, reminds me of my dad, he often asks me "why do you always grow all of this WEIRD stuff?" and im sure this would certainly fit his definition. (anything other than pinto beans, potatoes, tomatoes (only the red ones), onions and yellow corn and he considers it "weird", lol)

He'd never make it here. Lol

I think they look like space pods. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Kohlrabi has always intrigued me. What do you do with it?

Quote from jmc1987 :
im hoping this is my sweet corn starting to sprout up, and not just another piece of crab grass trying to sneak its way into my garden via underground roots, lol!

My sweet corn seems to be taking forever to sprout. All I have gotten so far in the corn bed is weeds.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Kohlrabi can be eaten raw. Works well with carrot sticks & celery with a dip. Also can be cooked or steamed. Put a little butter on it.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

just went out today, and now i know for SURE that its the corn popping up, in fact im seeing almost every single one coming up. all in one day, lol. the rains really gave them a jump start i believe. amazing how rain water is always so superior to ground water.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Fermented Kohlrabi is amazing !

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

things are starting to take off it looks like. got a small patch of cornflower seed going. This is the parsley's second year and there are flower stalks forming on it. A small patch of greens that i planted (turnip, 2 kinds of kale and radish)

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

also some nice looking blueberries forming up

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Fresh Asparagus for lunch today, delicious!

Mine didn't even make it into the house.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ok todays growth confirms it, i DEFINITELY have sweet corn sprouting up. also the cucumber and cantaloupe seeds have finally decided to sprout up

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

also the first gardening issue of the year has decided to show itself. These guys are all over my perennial coreopsis plant, and it looks like they are eating on the foliage a bit. They look a heck of a lot like ladybug larva, only they are a total solid black, as opposed to the black and orange color that im usually used to seeing. Unless perhaps its just another type i havent seen before and they have showed up to make a meal out of whatever was originally chewing on the leaves? long story short i dont think i have ever seen these guys before.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

JMC, that does look just like the ladybug larvae except the coloring is bit "off". I don't think they eat plant but waiting to find aphids in the garden?

Drthor, fermented kolabries? like pickled? Please share more info.

To answer some of your questions, I ate mine raw, I peeled off the tough skin, and bite into it as eating apple. I like it as an appetizer, or a dessert even. lol I saved the leave and will cook them tomorrow as I would cook kales or other green. I'll keep you posted how it turns out.

Congrats everyone on your gardening unfurling....
For me, I just added some soil amendment to my raised bed and will be planting some squads and zucks, I'm excited about 'em.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

yeah i wanted to gather some knowledge from the DG community about the bug before i took any major action. i also posted in the bug ID section.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

speaking of which, i got a reply from there already. they suspect its more of a leaf beetle larva infestation, as opposed to lady bugs.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Lily_love :

Drthor, fermented kolrabries? like pickled? Please share more info.

am talking about lacto-fermented ... like: Sauerkraut or Kimci ..
I ferment a lot of vegetable. Super healthy. I started to ferment Kombucha ... then I went crazy !i
I use this little gadget: http://www.krautsource.com/
this is a great recipe: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lacto-fermented-kohlrabi-kraut-recipe
But I like my Kolrabi thinly sliced.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

JMC, sorry it wasn't a beneficial bug. Oh Drthor, many thanks for the link. I will have to plant more of the Kolrabies! I'm thrilled with the discovery of this new veggie.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

yeah i suppose i will be going on a "pick and squish" mission tomorrow, lol

At least you found out what they were before it got too bad.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So i was wondering why my chive plants were starting to flop over, turns out that you are supposed to keep them snipped down kinda short, i still left the flowers behind though and put a little support around them, because the bees were going crazy about them. Sure did end up with a HECK of a lot of chives to bring indoors though, lol. I think i will dry these....AND dry my eyes while im at it.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987

drthor I do kombucha and am considering fermented veggies. I have seen a lot of Youtube videos on fermented veggies.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from weeding :
drthor I do kombucha and am considering fermented veggies. I have seen a lot of Youtube videos on fermented veggies.

I looove Kombucha.
I really sugegst to buy the kroutsource lid. It is expensive ... but it is super easy/efficient/no smell.
Start to ferment cabbages first. Just salt and cabbages.
It took me a while to understand when the lacto-fermented vegetables are ready to eat ...
I cannot wait to try eggplants and peppers this summer too !
Good luck !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

im hoping we get a break from this rain soon, im seeing mushrooms popping up in my container of beets!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My lettuce field.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Planted my bag bed today! Also have some pumpkins growing hydroponically. By accident.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

uh oh about the pumpkins. hopefully my beets will not rot from all of this moisture

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.