Tomato foliage changing color

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So its been a few days since i have planted out my tomato starts, and they have all taken the transplant well and are growing, but there is one specific plant that i am concerned about. The foliage on it has changed color, tinted with an almost purplish black color, kind of like you would see on the skin of an eggplant. This does happen to be one of those "blue" tomato varieties, so i am wondering if this is something normal that they do sometimes.

http://www.rareseeds.com/blue-berries-tomato/

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

If this plant is your only Blue Tomato plant that is probably the reason for the plant's color.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

interesting that it waited until i transplanted it outside to do this, you would think if it was in the genetics that it would have had foliage like that from day 1, unless its a reaction to the stronger sunlight

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Many variegated varieties don't show their true colors until they get enough sunlight. So yes, I believe it's the sunlight and it may get more purple.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

well it is good to know that there is nothing to really worry about :)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been growing the same variety for the past 2 years. No worries, the leaf color is typical of this variety. Also the bottom leaves turn yellow easily for no reason (so don't worry).
Watch out ! This grow like a monster plant.
Here are my notes from last year: "Fantastic producer. Strong plants that loves to sucker constantly. Tons of tomatoes. Shiny skin. Fruits taste average, but it is great for roasting."

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ah so i will have to be on sucker patrol a lot, lol. I have heard of some bottom leaves yellowing being quite typical of tomatoes. Will definitely make a note of the roasting, in fact i dont think i have ever roasted a tomato before

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are some fruits from Purple Bumble Bee

Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

looks great. as posted in the link above, mine is a variety called "Blue Berries", but fruit should be around the same size, if not smaller.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey, jmc, I have had some really dark foliage on some of mine too, but it's getting lighter. The darkest varieties I have are Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. At one time they ALL looked dark and I attributed it to not as much sunlight when I had them under grow lights, but that was a total guess. They've been in the ground over a week now so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to BK tonight and see if it's still darker.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.