preparing eggplant

Decatur, GA

Hi. I have also posted this in the recipe discussion.
I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about using weights to remove the excess moisture form eggplants. I remember my father (who was no kind of cook) doing this years ago but wonder if it was his own idea. I know salting helps remove moisture and improve the taste and am also wondering if I should use both salt and weights for even better results. Also for how long should you leave the eggplants under the wt. Thanks.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes you are correct.
Even without weights the eggplants will release the extra water if you sprinkle some salt on each slice.
It will take 20-30 minutes.
Some Asian varieties of eggplant don't need this kind of treatment.

Thumbnail by drthor
Decatur, GA

drthor,
Great picture!!
I used salt and wts and got some moisture out but not too much. I think because the eggplants were small and probably young. (from Costco)
Someone else told me the treatments aren't that necessary for improved flavor (reduced bitterness) unless you're dealing with older less fresh eggplants.
Helen

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

good stuff to know as i have both "black beauty", and "casper" eggplants on the garden plans this year

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from jmc1987 :
good stuff to know as i have both "black beauty", and "casper" eggplants on the garden plans this year

Casper is a fantastic eggplant. It doesn't keep as well in the fridge as the purple ones, in fact their skin will turn brown quickly.
Just harvest them and eat in 2 days max. It is a really sweet tasty eggplant.

Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

what kind of recipes would you suggest for casper?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I will be sure to look for Casper in our farmer's market this summer. Sounds so good. Thanks for the post.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from jmc1987 :
what kind of recipes would you suggest for casper?

I absolutely love grilled eggplants.
Use a mandolin to slice the eggplants very thin.
Grill until you see grilling marks.
Dress with Olive oil , S+P and shredded mint !

Decatur, GA

It may seem strange but I put eggplant in the slow cooker with other veggies like tomatoes, peppers, okra, green beans - any compilation... salt pepper, turmeric or other flavorings you like. Splash it with some olive oil. Serve over rice - optional
I like simple fare.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.