What\'s Blooming

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Weerobin the Arisarum proboscideum is so cute. I planted those years ago and they grew for a couple of years and did not come back.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow spring is wonderful!!!

Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't recognize #2 - what is it? Suspect not hardy for me ...

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

They all look great Wee, you sure grow interesting, non-run-of-the-mill plants!

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Weerobin #2 is Tecoma Sparky. Mipii it is because I live in the desert now, things I grew in Washington have a hard time here. I do grow Iris, Daylily. Gaillardia and am trying (crossing fingers) Dahlia. You all get to grow great plants for your zones because I watch longing for the smell of lilac, the beauty of clematis and a true shade tree!

Thumbnail by cocoajuno
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Wow. Sorry. Posted twice.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2016 9:10 AM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Great Post! Let's keep this one going throughout the blooming season!
Here's what was blooming at my house on April 1st:
Dicentra
Daffodils
Viburnum juddii
Viburnum carlesii
Phlox sublata
Phlox divaricata
Hellebores
Heuchera Carnival Rose Granita (very nice, good dark ruby color, pink blooms, tough)
Coreopsis auriculata 'Mouse Ears" (nice)
Iberis sempervirens 'Purity
Anemone blanda (so cute)
Muscarii
Galanthus
Nepeta
Aubrieta (nice, cute)
Tulip fosteriana 'White Emperor, (large Nice bloomed from March 10 to April 10th
Purissima, (bloomed same as Emperor)
Albert Heijn (dissapointing, stingy bloom, short bloom period)
Hyacinthoides non scripta (lovely) Muscarii

Here's what else is blooming April 10th:
Hyacinth
Kwanzan Cherry Tree
Dogwoods,
Serviceberry
Verbena Homestead
Dianthus
Vinca minor
Tulip Gaeity (okay)

All of the above on April 1st still blooming except:
Galanthus and Fosteriana tulips

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh Good Grief. Sorry! I was talking while doing.
Wee: Enjoying gardening on your hands and knees. Yes, I agree. You see so much more, and I think you even hear more birds etc.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2016 9:18 AM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Birder - many of the things you have blooming I have in bud.

In bloom so far are only daffodils, glory of the snow, and arabis. But a lot of thinhgs are in major bud, like my PJM rhodies, and my compact carlesis, for example have buds. You are WAYYY ahead of me!

Here is the PJM rhodie - still in bud.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Cocoajuno, your spring IS wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to look that Tecoma up for hardiness and be disappointed it won't survive in my zone, lol.

Birder, I'm not sure whether I should believe you all those things are blooming in your garden, I have no visual proof. Take pity on those of us who are still dealing with snow. ;)

Nice leaves on the Rhodie Donna!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I was sorry to hear about your recent weather woes, Mipii!
We escaped with just a couple freezes, but only some minor foliage damage.
But I'm exhausted hauling my tender plants in & out of the garage.
Hauled them all back out yesterday - hope for good this time.
Hope spring finally reaches you too!

Thanks Wee, this thread has been my spring. Many thanks for starting this thread, I get to see many emerging blooms (even sooner than I anticipated). 6" of snow just recently melted, accompanied by high teens and low 20's temperatures.

Amazingly I can still see some green and blooms after we're through all that!

Mipii that is one of the reasons I started this thread. Seeing the blooms that have opened cheers us all. It gets you ready for spring. I can hardy wait. I have already set out some of my veggie plants. :)

I sure do appreciate it Weeding! I've been out here and there to pull a couple of weeds. Last evening, I went out to spare a little bunny from the claws of my cats.

Soon, I'll be out all day long!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I love seeing the awesome flowers you all have! It's very inspiring.

The Arisarum proboscideum look like little back ends of mice diving under the leaves. They are adorable. I had them once upon a time but they didn't come back. Apparently, they didn't want to be completely neglected and overtaken by bigger plants. Go figure.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I think mine seems to have found a perfect little niche snuggled up against the tree roots which should help me from losing them. I remember seeing the foliage there last year, but didn't recognize what it was. Now that I know, hopefully I'll be able to keep track of it.

That sounds like a perfect place for them!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm not the best at posting pictures.
Beautiful weather here today. Sunshine. I brought out all of my plants outside that I winter over today. I'm planning on keeping them outside. My last freeze date is supposed to be April 15th. Of course, we've had late freezes in the past.

Edited to add: I like this thread because it gives ideas of what plants are blooming at the same time. In the future, I know I can put plant A with plant B and expect them to bloom at the same time or succession or whatever you're trying to do.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2016 7:44 PM

Found more blooms today.
Arum italicum
Tuberous Begonia
White Clematis unknown name
Lily of the Valley

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

My daffodils ,hyacinth and tulips are blooming.One of my Primroses bloomed last week and the other two plants are just budding.

Thumbnail by cytf

Tried to rotate my picture.

Thumbnail by cytf

We can view your picture upside right by right clicking and choosing "View Image".

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

You have to save it after you rotate it on your computer. And if it still doesn't work, delete your temp files. But since I uploaded it again, it added my copyright info.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2016 7:32 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Thank you Loretta NJ for the advise , What should I do when ,my Kodak states Internal Memory is full?, I was thinking that I need a new Card.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Took a yard survey yesterday with camera in hand
#1 Erythronium hybrid
#2 Pulsatilla vulgaris Elegans
#3 Corydalis - can't figure out which one.
It's one of the ones I ordered on-line from Latvia. Heavy white bloom.
#4 My favorite anemone, A hortensis.
#5 One of the few delphiniums which do well in our area, D tricorne.
It deals with out summer humidity by going dormant.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

weerobin that are all so beautiful. How large is the bloom on Pulsatilla vulgaris Elegans?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Bloom is about 3in when fully furled during mid-day, maybe not quite that big. Folds up a little in eve/morning.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are some from today.
#6 Epimedium Yohiki
#7 Anemonella thalictroides Cameo
#8 Anemone nemorosa Lismore Blue
#9 Dicentra spectabilis Valentine
#10 Anemone nemorosa Vestal
I know they have renamed both dicentra and anemonella,
but the new names haven't registered with me yet ...

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And I had to include our native goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis),
which blooms instantly upon leafout.
A very textured leaf. I didn't plant it, just showed up.
A gift from mother nature.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Those Anemones are giving me plant lust, Weerobin! I had forgotten how fresh and crisp they look. I haven't seen A. hortensis before and will have to find it.
The Hydrasits canadensis is great, too. The crinkly leaves are awesome.

Quote from cytf :
Thank you Loretta NJ for the advise , What should I do when ,my Kodak states Internal Memory is full?, I was thinking that I need a new Card.

Cytf, download all your pics to your computer and erase them from your data card.

Oh boy Wee, they're all so gorgeous! I too am lusting for that Anemone hortensis and found that they vary in bloom color quite a bit. I wonder how many purchases it would take me...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've got 3 of them, I think - they're all a nice lavender. But I had assumed they were all uniform color, so after reading your note, I googled them and now see the variability. I was assuming my lavender would be the best, since I really love it. But now that I see a white one with those contrasting purple anthers - I want a white one!

Oh nooo, I'm an enabler. Do you collect/harvest seeds from anything you grow. Chances are good you'll get your variable choice if you sow some of those seeds.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sadly, I'm a lazy gardener....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Arabis caucasica - how I love this plant! The muscari actually survived the pear that was in this location being dug up and a new tree planted.

My second year Happy Family. I dug them up, dried them out and replanted them. Sometimes they split into single bulbs but you can actually see the daddy and some of the other smaller bulbs.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quote from Mipii :
Quote from cytf :

Cytf, download all your pics to your computer and erase them from your data card.

Yes, what Mipii said. Once you download them, you can always find another place to store the photos if you don't want to keep them on your hard drive such as a cloud account or an external hard drive or a dvd to name a few.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Donna, that Arabis looks really nice. I haven't had luck with them.
I blamed humidity, but who knows.
I'm trying another one this year, Arabis x sturii.
I planted it just today in a planter w/ sharp drainage.
We'll see how it does.

Oh well Wee, I guess it's a required taste, seed harvesting sure appeals to me. I'm a seed geek and like seeing the seed almost as much as the bloom.

Nice blooms Donna!
Here's some regular, run-of-the-mill standbys...
Dwarf Daffodil
Muscari
Hyacinth

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There is NOTHING run of the mill about those. They are lovely.

And, I have camera images on Dropbox, which is free. I also have an external hard drive with a TON of space, since the c drive on my computer is pretty maxed out.

Arabis seems to like abuse. I had some in really awful soil for years. So I think sharp drainage wouldn't hurt. I normally have trouble with sharp drainage plants. I tried to grow some gorgeous blue penstemons (Stapleford Blue, for one) and they turned up their very expensive noses at me. The only penstemon I can grow is penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red', and part of it's claim to fame is that it can grow in soil that is not sharply drained. It's also freaking bullet proof. My master gardening mentor has prairie and rain gardens that I tend once a month during the growing season, and the "problem" she has is that the native white digitalis gets pollinated by bees that have sampled 'Husker Red' and they turn into the latter. She insists on their removal, so I took about ten last year and we are seeing them come up burgundy again so I took three. Fabulous along the property line, since I have neighbors wh don't take care of their lawns. Between this plant and Geranium 'Bevan's Variety', I have created a fairly bulletproof property line border without having to do any extra work.

I must tell you, about the arabis - these are some of the nicest ones I have ever had, but I put in five (very badly) and got three fabulous ones. I'm going to start some more. I really like them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.