Seedling/Plant Label Stakes - Cheap

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Every year when I buy a package of white plastic plant label stakes, sold for that purpose, they seem expensive. I don't remember how much they cost now, but they're pretty pricey. I've tried using thin wood stakes made using my table saw instead, but over a season the wood weathers in the garden and those become unreadable.

I'm doing some plumbing under our house now, and I'm using this white plastic strapping that's made for hanging pipes from floor joists. I got this roll in the plumbing department at Lowe's for, I think $2.99. Then it occurred to me that this makes some fine plant labels too - it's hard strong plastic, it cuts easily with scissors, permanent marker works on it, and the molded holes for nails don't hurt anything. These labels pictured are marked "SOO" for Sweet Ozark Orange tomatoes.

A fifty-foot roll of this strapping will make 100 six-inch plant label stakes for just over 3 cents a label including tax. I like it!

Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

great idea

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, thank you for the great tip. I've been using popsicle sticks (which are really too thin and hard to write on) because the plastic labels seem expensive and they don't last.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks like a great idea Ozark!
I cut mine out of an old set of venetian window blinds that I recently replaced. I've used other stuff too, like cut up plastic milk jugs and cottage cheese containers. My Sharpie fine tip pen writes well on them.

Al

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

For several year I have been using pieces I cut from plastic window blinds. I cut them from discarded blinds so it is recycling which is always good. They are also free which can't be beat with a stick. I use a permanent sharpie market to write on them and they last for years.

Saylorsburg, PA

Stumbeled on this cheap label method while transplanting .Plastic Spoons!

Thumbnail by johnboy42

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.