Ca. Poppy Advice

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

HI all,
I thought I would drop in to ask Californians how to grow California Poppies.
My temps are anywhere this time of year from 32 to 45 at night and 40 to 70 days. Is this an okay time to put Ca. Poppy seed in the garden?
I'm thinking I should have done this last fall.
Please share your experiences.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I've never sown California poppies in the spring, but I'm in California and fall is the time here. In fact I just purchased some different colors in CA poppies and have the same problem, sow now or wait for fall. I'm thinking I'll put in half of what I have and give it a go. In 6b I'd try it now and if they don't take, well, I'd contact my CA garden friend Domehomedee and ask for fresh seeds to try in fall. She has dozens of plants and they've started blooming already so there will be seeds a plenty!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you very much for answering my question. I would be tickled to have some of your Ca. Poppy seed!
I'm hoping to find the seed locally, but I may have to order it. I haven't ordered it yet because I was waiting for an answer. I have never grown them, just admire them. I thought I would try them.
Since you are in 9a, I think mabe fall for your and spring for me.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, I dug through all my seeds and I won't have any CA poppy seeds until summer when they are ready to pick.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

That's fine. I think my best bet would be to sow the seeds in the fall.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yeah I've decided to wait until fall to sow the different colored ones I bought. They are blooming here in my garden and along the roadsides. I always think someone should toss out mass quantities of them along the country roads, you know Johnny Appleseed like. Sounds like a job for me and my grand-daughter.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Sounds like a plan! :)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can order seeds from Wildflower Seed farm in TX. I'd sow them in fall and maybe try a few in Spring.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

lisa, I wasn't sure whether they should be sowed in say, September or wait until maybe, February.

I found the catalog and it says if you live north of Oklahoma you can sow the seeds in the fall (Sept. 15 - Nov 15) or early spring (Feb. 15- April 15). Mix the really small seeds with potting soil and surface sow. So just toss them, where you want them.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Check out Swallowtail seeds for some cool mixes on the poppy seeds.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Then it's September for me.

Good! I hunted and hunted for that dang catalog and it was right were it was supposed to be....go figure. I've had really good luck with their instructions, now I can grow Wildflowers bc I sow them at the right time.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I really enjoy poppies. My first Oriental Poppy: 'Prince of Orange' is blooming. So Pretty! It's bright orange with huge dark purple stamens.

Pics? My Flanders poppies were blooming and doing great this morning then a storm blew thru. 1 flower left but there are more buds. The rain has made everything grow great, including the weeds. Lol

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Rain here also. Knocked my poppy bloom and my peony blooms, but the rain was welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.