Sweet Ozark Orange for 2016

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

After all the screwed up happens the last few days, we need a new start.
Maybe Sam can post his information in this thread.
Thanks again for the seeds.
Bernie

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting this new thread, Bernie.

I'm sending out Sweet Ozark Orange tomato seeds every day now. Sweet Ozark Orange is a stabilized OP variety that comes from an intentional cross of Dr. Wyche's Yellow and German Red Strawberry that I did in 2009. It is a large, productive, indeterminate, 78-day mid-season bright orange tomato with excellent flavor. The plants are large with thick regular-leaf foliage, and the fruit is 'beefsteak' shape and very meaty with little pulp so this variety is good for canning and sauces as well as slicing and eating fresh.

For free seeds and an information sheet, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Sam Wammack
P. O. Box 111
Ozark, MO 65721

Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark
Fort Worth, TX

Thank you for the seeds. Hope to get them planted on Tuesday

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My Sweet Orange Ozark is growing fine.
How tall does it get?
Determinate or indeterminate?

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Sam's post, right above Gypsi's, tells all about SOO. Great pics too.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

First SOO baby tomato.

Fort Worth, TX

I have got to find my SOO seeds. They came after I had pots of February starts going.. I opened the envelope. my desk is very deep and the seed shelf in the refrigerator very full. if I get a SOO harvest this year it will be fall. How do they do as a summer started tomato?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 2 tomatoes on my SOO.
So far it is the largest tomato in my garden.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Looking good, drthor! In my experience the early tomatoes of Sweet Ozark Orange are often misshapen or doubles, but they become more uniform during the growing season. Remember to pick them when orange, not yellow - they're pretty tart in the yellow stage.

I'm far behind your climate zone of course, and I just got my tomato plants in the ground on May 1. Here's a picture of my row of Sweet Ozark Orange the day they were planted, with a lot of stem in the ground and all pinched back to just the top two branches. The second picture is one of the same seedlings only five days later, on May 6. It's amazing how fast things grow this time of year, and Sweet Ozark Orange produces vigorous, strong plants.

These are all from my germination test in February, in which I sprouted 12 S.O.O. seeds in a wet paper towel. They all sprouted, 12 for 12, and I didn't want to discard them, so they ended up being my entire Sweet Ozark Orange plantation this year. I'm raising 8 seedlings and gave 4 away - and I grow S.O.O. in a row of its own far from other tomato varieties because I'll be saving seeds.

Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

That is good to know ! Thanks !

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I harvested my first Sweet Ozark Orange,
I need to wait a little bit more before I eat it. I think it needs to be more orange.
Definitely the largest tomato of this year = 520 gr
The plant still have 2 fruits but they are smaller.
My other plant has zero SOO.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are my second and third SOO. They are the biggest tomatoes I am growing this year.
The taste is truly amazing. The inside is fully yellow/orange, without hard/white stuff that normally larger tomatoes have.
My first plant produce these 3 fruits and it has 2 small ones still getting larger.
My second plant has no fruits yet.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX

I hope to find my SOO seeds by either this August for fall tomatoes, or next spring. They came in when pond season was busy and I lost the envelope somewhere in the pile of paper that is my desk, I think

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

One of my SOO's for 2016

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

niiice !

Fort Worth, TX

very nice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.