Giant pinecones

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to i.d. these for some friends who have them in their house in Maryland. I don't think a local conifer produced them though! Did they perhaps come from a Pinus lambertiana?

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Of course, Resin is the reliable source for absolute answers, but...

Rookie Viburnum and Holly fancier will always jump into the fray. I think you indeed are showing us some Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana) cones there.

Here's my proof...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Pinus lambertiana is right!

Resin

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow Muddy, good job! Those are some mighty big cones! Based on VV's #5 photo, what size cones are they?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Looks to be one foot...

Indeed. My shoes are size 12, and make a good stand-in (!) for a foot.

Here's more data: this specimen hangs over my desk at work...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Well, I'd look like a clown, but it sure would come in handy to have a Foot measuring stick...foot everywhere you go, lol.

Those cones are massive, I'd love to stand at the base of that tree and look up, kind of puts the world in perspective

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone!
A small child's small hand was the handiest thing around to provide scale for the photo. I'd say the largest cone was definitely 12 inches.

My friends said I'm the first person who has ever noticed those cones. I say they're pretty hard to miss!

Perspective requested - perspective provided...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Aw thanks VV, that's the next best thing to being there!

Thanks for the post Muddy.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

My pleasure, Mipii.
Thanks, VV, it's nice to be able to put the cones together with trees.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They are known to reach up to 65 cm long. The longest one I've got is 52 cm.

Resin

Wow Resin, that's two of VV's feet!
I've got some thoughts about making a few, probably using four into a Chandelier. Fun with Pinus lambertiana cones.

WEST END, NC(Zone 7a)

They are possibly from a Longleaf Pine (Pinus palustris). They are very common here in the Sandhills region of North Carolina.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.