Apple tree grafting questions

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There is a delicious crape apple tree in my community garden. Unfortunately it's on the decline. I would like to try some grafting techniques in hope of reproducing the delicious apples for future use/enjoyment. My questions are: 1.How long will a successful grafting apple tree will produce? 2. What's the best grafting technique to use. 3. What stock specie is most preferred?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a site about grafting apples. You should go to youtube and see grafting methods.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/grafting-and-budding-fruit-trees/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Weeding, many thanks for your reply. The information provided by the link is very educational. I will be studying and try to set up a goal accomplish this grafting project within the near future. Best wishes. A gardener from Al.

Fort Worth, TX

I planted a grafted apple tree - inexpensive one from Burgess - in my back yard in Arlington TX in about 1994, and it is still alive today and still only produces Granny Smith apples (that would be the fault of the grafters at Burgess I am thinking) Provided you are using good stock, and you use rootstock that is adapted to your local area, and use good sanitation on your tools, I have every reason to believe you can succeed.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

@ Gypsy from Tx. Thank you for sharing your experience. How old was your grafted apple tree that you purchased back in 1994? And how long afterwards the tree begun to produce fruits? I personally do love the 'Granny Smith' cultivar as well. As far as choosing a roots stock. Locally we have a good nursery. I will enlist their help on choosing one that does well in our area. Thank you.

Fort Worth, TX

I would guess the species of tree this IS does well in your area, since it is 20 years old. my tree was field grown maybe 24 or 30 inches tall, so probably not over a year old? I think it took 4 years until first fruit, but it might have been less.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That information is very encouraging. I planted a grafted Persimmon tree in the early 2000. Last year, this past November, I finally harvested my first crop of delicious fruits. My concern with my apple tree grafting project may take another decade before I see the fruits of my labor--literally.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX

Persimmons are a whole different creature. Do your homework and good luck!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I think the time for production of fruit will depend on the age of tree you are grafting it to.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you weeding for that. I've looked at different grafting techniques, and I would like to try several different methods. Say if I were to buy a rootstock that's ready to bear flowers and fruits, then graft my scions onto it, then I won't have to wait too long for the scion to grow and produce fruits of its kind? Provided that the grafting was a success. Since this is my first try, I'm ready to accept failure a time or two, until I'll eventually master the technique. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1st week of March I did my grafting as planned. The root stock I used is red Jonathan. Here is the root stock 1st breaking bud.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Keep us posted, we lurkers want to follow along...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I sure will. The scion woods all look nice and healthy. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As my spring flowers broke loose, my apple grafting progresses to the next stage. Various scions budding out. Yah! Picture will be posted as the buds get larger. Right now it's so tiny I can't get the focus to work.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2016 5:57 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thus far, 3 out of the 4 scions are budding out. Here are some pics. to share.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.