Grow Bags

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking of trying a couple of these to expand my garden. Has anyone used them and what do you think of them?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have root pouches. Are you thinking of using them in your garden or in another area?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I actually make my grow bags, out of weed cloth, and I have had good success with them.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I had a couple of homemade earth boxes that sprang leaks. Instead of discarding them, I put the soil in 5 gallon grow bags and put two of the grow bags in each HEB and planted dwarf tomatoes. Things went well for two months, then some of them succumbed to blight. Most did fine.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking of using them to grow squash or pumpkins. Just don't have enough space in my garden and was thinking I could "expand"' the garden that way. What size is best?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I've never tried squash in grow bags, but would guess 5gallon at the very least. Remember that squash vines tend to sprawl. You might try to trellis them, but I've never done that either.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2016 9:07 AM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I did try those grow bags ... but I just couldn't keep up with them.
They just dried out so quickly ... I gave up.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I use those $2.98 home depot buckets with some holes drilled in the bottom.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I used them but I've cut down my gardening space. They worked well. But they were no better than the huge plastic "toy tubs" I bought at Target. I'd go with a large plastic option with holes drilled in the bottom, especially if we have dry weather. Like drthor said, they dry out fast. Good luck! Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.