Possible rose nutrient deficiency

Morristown, TN(Zone 7a)

I have 2 drift shrub roses in large pots. The new leaves seem to show some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I am not sure whether it would be iron or magnesium. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thumbnail by Daggiewood1
Richmond, TX

It could be either of those. I would suggest applying a dilute solution of a general rose fertilizer as a first step, and see how they do.

Eldridge, IA(Zone 5a)

Daggiewood 1 - I agree that it looks like possible iron or magnesium deficiency. You might try re-potting in some fresh soil and then start a balanced fertilization program. Also, not knowing how far you are from Chattanoga, there is a very active rose society their, Tri-State Rose Society. You can find them via the web. They might be of assistance as well.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have seen this - a client's roses looked just like that. I was not sure whether it was a magnesium deficiency or an iron deficiency, so I treated it for both. The magnesium I treated with epsom salts - about half a cup. I always have Ironite in spray form, since I came from a high alkaline environment but had fothergillas and bayberries. I treated her roses, stepped back for about a week, and then treated them again. The roses responded beautifully. She thought I worked magic.

Hers were Knockouts, by the way.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2016 4:52 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.